Coopers Community

Advice on some spicy, earthy hops for IPA

AaronS12

Hi Guys,

I am actually Khellendros13, have some issues with password resetting not sending me an email.

Anyway, after making the Fruit Salad Ale and tasting it after only 1 week...I am hooked on hops. Head and shoulders above the other 3 brews that came before it :)

So, I am going to put down 2 IPA's. Motueka Slam IPA as per PB2's recipe, I have the flowers already in the freezer.

Hairy gave me a nice recipe base and I have decided to call it "Dragon Fire IPA" . My intention is to have a high level of spiciness from the right hops, with some earthy/nutty flavour to give it weight. Bitterness not too crazy, but my intention is to have the spiciness cut through the bitterness and blend with the earthy/nutty flavours as an after taste.

I was looking at Challenger, Crystal, Cluster and a few others as options and probably add some nutmeg or similar along with dry hopping the right hops.

Not really after much citrus/fruit, maybe a little to add some complexity.

Any suggestions? :)

Hairy's suggested base:

IPA kit

1.5kg Light Liquid malt

500g Dry Wheat Malt

500g Dextrose

300g Crystal malt (optional) - Victory malt is nice

20L is 7% ABV

The IPA kit already contains Styrian Goldings as an aroma hop and I think using more Styrian Goldings would be perfect for what you want.

I haven't used it in IPA before but have used it in an English Bitter and it is [love]

Actually, now I will have to add an English style IPA with Styrian Goldings to my to-do list. I was planning on making a Challenger based IPA before but I may have now convinced myself to use the Styrian Goldings I have in the freezer.

The IPA kit already contains Styrian Goldings as an aroma hop and I think using more Styrian Goldings would be perfect for what you want.

I haven't used it in IPA before but have used it in an English Bitter and it is [love]

Actually, now I will have to add an English style IPA with Styrian Goldings to my to-do list. I was planning on making a Challenger based IPA before but I may have now convinced myself to use the Styrian Goldings I have in the freezer.

Ohh I overlooked those. Would you add any other hops? Is adding some nutmeg a good or bad idea? I'll try to get a recipe posted in the recipe section and fine tune it before ordering the hops.

Thanks

Can vouch for using Styrian Goldings in an IPA, done it a couple of times. First time used 30g, last time 40g. Both great.

cheers

mmmmm hopses

Saaz in an IPA?

What abouts Pacific Gem? I bought some, cos they sound interesting. "Pacific Gem can produce a cask oak flavour with distinct blackberry aroma, along with a woody character."

Saaz was the other one I was looking at too. Bear in mind my experience with these hops is just from the descriptions lol. Not a Blackberry fan so I might skip the Pacific Gem, thanks though.

Maybe Styrian Goldings at 20/15/10/5 additions and Saaz at 5/FO and dry hop with both?

Archived