Coopers Community

Authentic IPA Dry Hop

trabfountain

I wanted to make the Motueka Slam IPA but can't buy the Motueka hops locally. On going through the forums found a suggestion by LordEoin to dry hop with 40gm Cascade. Also at what point would I need to dry hop and would it be better to use US05 yeast or stick with the kit yeast.

Cascade would be nice. I generally dry hop about 3-4 days after pitching the yeast.

As for the yeast, it is a biggish beer and the 7g kit yeast (of questionable viability) would be an underpitch. I would go with the 11.5g packet of US-05.

Most people seem to dryhop after 3-5 days, once the most violent fermentation, but I generally just throw them in loose from the beginning. It's just more convenient for me.

Either yeast will work great. I'd probably stick to with kit yeast with IPA or EB

Most people seem to dryhop after 3-5 days' date=' once the most violent fermentation, but I generally just throw them in loose from the beginning. It's just more convenient for me.[/quote']

I throw mine in after day 3, but have heard plenty of people say that on the kind of small scale we home brewers do things, the amount of flavour/aroma that would be lost during such a (relatively) small fermentation would be minimal to flat out unnoticeable. Anyone else heard this? [unsure]

I throw mine in after day 3' date=' but have heard plenty of people say that on the kind of small scale we home brewers do things, the amount of flavour/aroma that would be lost during such a (relatively) small fermentation would be minimal to flat out unnoticeable. Anyone else heard this?[/quote']

You have probably heard it from me; I have sprouted it a few times.

But I have just ripped it from a older post from PB2. It sounded good so I ran with it [biggrin]

Archived