Coopers Community

Brew fridge setup

Waxey Gordon

OK lads,

STC1000 has shown up finally - Mr Matumbo just needs another $500 for the instruction manual.

What I was needing was advice for butchering, Oh, I mean modifying my fridge to accommodate the controller. Its a Westinghouse BJ414 ([lol] I said BJ) up-side-down beastie and was wondering if I can drill holes through the side of it. I've googled it and got some info about going slowly and carefully to make sure there are no freon tube in the way but, behe... I'd rather go by the advice of you guys - even though I don't know any of you, you all seem to make sense before.

And sheepishly I need to ask, do you guys just chop the fridge lead and wire it into the STC? I ask sheepishly because I'm an electrican. If you need me hook up a 6.6KV / 2MW motor no worries but have no idea when its comes to home appliances.

Thanks men.

OK lads,

STC1000 has shown up finally - Mr Matumbo just needs another $500 for the instruction manual.

What I was needing was advice for butchering, Oh, I mean modifying my fridge to accommodate the controller. Its a Westinghouse BJ414 ([lol] I said BJ) up-side-down beastie and was wondering if I can drill holes through the side of it. I've googled it and got some info about going slowly and carefully to make sure there are no freon tube in the way but, behe... I'd rather go by the advice of you guys - even though I don't know any of you, you all seem to make sense before.

And sheepishly I need to ask, do you guys just chop the fridge lead and wire it into the STC? I ask sheepishly because I'm an electrican. If you need me hook up a 6.6KV / 2MW motor no worries but have no idea when its comes to home appliances.

Thanks men.

No need to butcher the fridge Gordon. have a read of this thread. It gives you all the info you need, plus pics.

All you do is fit the ST1000 into a box and plug the fridge into it.

PS, i'm still waiting for my nigerian lottery winnings

No need to butcher the fridge Gordon. have a read of this thread. It gives you all the info you need, plus pics.

All you do is fit the ST1000 into a box and plug the fridge into it.

PS, i'm still waiting for my nigerian lottery winnings

Thanks Nick.

Actually I want to butcher my fridge. I'm going to mount the stc into the front door and have already made up a wiring loom for it, I just need access to the rear of the fridge. From what I've read drilling through the rear is risky but side can sometimes be OK.

I guess my original post was a bit rambling, but the real question is, can you safely drill through the side of a Westinghouse BJ414([lol] )?

Thanks.

I guess my original post was a bit rambling' date=' but the real question is, can you safely drill through the side of a Westinghouse BJ414([lol'] )?

Thanks.

Make a paste out of cornflour and water then rub on the side of the fridge where you are going to drill. Turn your fridge on and leave it until it dries. You should clearly see where the lines go. Don't drill there [pinched]

You are a sparky experienced in HV motors and you are asking technical electrical and refrigeration information from a homebrew forum?

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Yeah, scary isn't it. Scarier still is I'm responsible for supplying greater Brisbane with water and waste-water services.

Hey, we all have our strengths. Mine's not whitegoods.

My mate put one in the front door of his fridge then wired into the thermostat.

We are both electrical engineers so live on the wild side [devil]

Cool. Exactly what I was thinking. Rather than switching the entire fridge you just need to switch the fridge temp control. You don't turn your tv off by opening the main switch to your house. It'd by nice if the light comes on even if its not cooling. Might be more efficient if the freezer stays on too rather than have to cool it down as well each time it starts up.

Now if only I could find a wiring diagram for this sucker. It looks like the fridge temp is controlled by a fan which is drawing cool air from the freezer. Something for me muck to around with this wet Saturday.

Archived