Coopers Community

Re-Activated Commercial Yeast

Matty A

Just a quick question to anyone that regularly uses the commercial yeast. I have made 2 batches that are the same except for the yeast. They have both been fermenting for roughly 3 weeks and one is now sitting on 1.011 (the yeast supplied with the kit) and the other one is sitting on 1.020 ( the commercial yeast).

Odd thing is that the commercial yeast was actually really active when it started. Does the commercial yeast finish higher the supplied yeast?

If anything, the commercial yeast should finish lower.

It sounds like there was not sufficient yeast in the starter??

How many stubbies did you grab the sediment from and what size starter did you re-activate it in? Upon inspection of the starter, was it clearly fermenting and very cloudy or only active when swirled? How many days had the sarter been going?

At this stage, you could always add some dry yeast to the brew sitting at high SG.

Pitch some more yeast mate, that's way too high. I had the same thing happen the first time I used the commercial yeast. It stopped at 1.017. I racked to secondary which knocked it down to 1.015, and then gave up and just bottled it. It's way too gassy, so who knows what I did wrong. I harvested from one longy but did a gradually stepped starter. Thought I'd be okay, but obviously not. [pinched]

Archived