Coopers Community

ginger beer

Nick

I have just picked up 2 brand new food grade 20tr pails from work.

I will fit taps and use them for Ginger Beer.

The recipe is for 20 lts, but filling them to 20lts will only lleave about 50mm of head space in the bucket.

What sort of Kraesen can i expect? if it is a fairly subdued ferment then it will be no worries, but something volcanic will be very messy.

I know every ferment is different with beer, but i have never brewed Ginger Beer, hence the newby question.

I am planning on just starting with the coopers K & K

EDIT: BTW, what is an ok brewing temp? Ambient will be mid 20's and i am not going to waste good brew fridge space on GB

Nick

Thanks Chad,

i have decided to cut the bottom out of one of the buckets and slip it inside the other. kinda like the krausen collar on the new DIY FV's. this gives me 150mm head space above the 20 lt mark.

This should be plenty hey?

Well Ned, i have just got the maintanance guys to cut the botton out and fit a tap. It looks like it will do the job fine. i will make a brew this week end and let you know. Just need some info on temp thats all. Someone will know. i am to lazy and dont have time to search the forum for the answer today, but searching here is a PITFA anyway.[roll]

Nick,

Brew it at 18C.

Chad i dead set have no way of brewing it this low. If i brew it at 25 deg as i have mentioned, what do you think will be the outcome? I know that beers brewed at 20 are better than those brewed at 25 deg, but they are still drinkable when brewed at those higher temps.

Nick,

Brew it at 18C.

Chad i dead set have no way of brewing it this low. If i brew it at 25 deg as i have mentioned, what do you think will be the outcome? I know that beers brewed at 20 are better than those brewed at 25 deg, but they are still drinkable when brewed at those higher temps.

Nick,

I haven't brewed a beer at those temperatures in a long time. I'll I can remember about those days is I was still following the kit directions[sick]!

I've never used the GB kit but I hear it come off as a little... sweet? Combine this with high ferment temps I can't image you'll be making great beer.

• 2 weeks later...

i have just finished bottling this after 14 days in the FV, it is still a little sweet, but drier than it was last weekend.

It was kit plus 1kg raw sugar and 250gms of dex and made to 20 ltrs.

The OG was 1044 and it finished at 997. With priming sugar it calcs to 6.8% ABV.

It seems bloody high for basially a K & K recipe

I divided 47 by 7.46 as usual[unsure]

That FG is nothing to worry about when using the GB kit + a kilo of sugar +250g dex

It will stay 'a little sweet' because of the artificial sweeteners in this kit.

Personally, I find overwhelmingly sweet.

I will start another ginger beer tomorrow and this time take the fermentables up to 2kg for some extra kick. I think after reading the good lords comment that the sweetness might be a bit much for my liking. dont want to bitter it with hops, but what about a few lemons or limes cut up and boiled for an hour or so first. i like the flavour combo, but does anyone think the sweetness may be tempered by the citrus flavours?

Could even throw in a grapefruit, there as bitter as my Ex M.I.L

Archived