Coopers Community

Too Hot (Cocked it up?)

LeeF4

Hi,

I recently got a coopers kit, including ingredients for Mexican Lager.

I was so concerned with getting the water warm enough that I went completely the other way, and it ended up over 40 degrees (with the sugars and the tin of hops). I tried to get it to cool as soon as I could, but didn't add the yeast for a good 10-20 mins. At that point it was still 35-38 degrees. Gravity measured 1030.

After a day or two I removed the Krausen collar - there was a small amount of residue around it.

Today, day 5, I measured the gravity - 1019. I calculate the alcohol to be a measly 1.48%. I tasted it, not completely unpleasent but very yeasty. Temp is now about 25.

I think I have missed the point about temp control, keeping cool seems to be more of an issue than keeping it warm - I have it in the airing cupboard.

Have I completely cocked up this brew, should I start again? Is there anything I can do to try to revive it?

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee, firstly welcome to the forum and brewing!

Apparently I'm the resident nightowl this week after doing night shifts at work, so I'll do my best to help answer your questions.

Not the greatest temp to be pitching yeast, however if the gravity has come down then it has obviously been fermenting. 1019 is not really finished though. I'd expect it to finish around 1010.

What are the ingredients on the Mexican one? If it's the kit plus one of the brew enhancers I would estimate the OG higher than 1030, probably more around 1035-1038. The temperature can affect the reading, and whether all the ingredients are properly mixed also affects it. Also remember when calculating ABV you need to add 0.5% for the priming sugar (bottling) so it's actually about 2% at the moment, based off the OG anyway.

As for temp control, it depends. Ales ferment 18-20C, lagers 10-12C. The yeast in the Mexican beer I would try to keep at 18-20. It's too late for this brew, but if you have some way of doing it on future brews, it's something to keep in mind.

All in all though, don't throw it out. Wait until you get stable gravity readings (around 1010 give or take a couple of points) over two days and bottle it. It's your first brew. You'll probably think it's the best brew ever made. We all do. [lol] But don't be put off if it doesn't turn out as well as expected, there's plenty of friendly help and advice on here to get you making excellent beers. [biggrin]

Damn leef4 send me some of the snow to South Africa. I am battling with 40C and up here..

Haha Otto is really helping we the newbies out. I was also stressing out over my brew..[pinched] but I must say I took a sip of this warm flat beer today and it tasted great...[biggrin] Well for me obviously.....[roll] Tested FG today its 1014 again... Almost there then I will bottle it!!!![joyful]

By the way it's day 6 for me..

welcome to both lee and heinrich...im no expert by a long way but i was a kit brewer(and stillam) for 8 years not caring less about temps etc...since joining here and coming back to homebrewing my main concern has been temperature control...follow Ottos' advice there lee and i reckon youll be like us all and quite proud of your first brew as otto said.....Heinrich atthe moment we have a heatwave here too....yesterday it was 46c here..i hade my fv in the laundry tub..a third full of water and i have 6 2ltre plastic milk bottles full of ice in the water around the fv...its been sitting constant on 18c. youll find alot of posts in here worth looking through...keep up the good work you two....im only about a week in front of you guys , great to see you here, cheers Ned. p.s plastic soft drink bottles are fine also i just prefer the sqaurish shape of the milk bottles to stack in the freezer. youll read the STC1000 thread with great interest i feel. oops i also have a towell draped over fv and hose it down occasionally

Archived