Coopers Community

New to DIY brewing

JasonB25

Hello all. Recently purchased my first ever Coopers DIY brew kit then my wife went and bought a Mr Beer-American Porter brew mix for me. I followed the directions on the Mr Beer brew mix can, it calls for no sugar until time to add the carbonation drops(whatever sugar may be in them). It has been sitting on a shelf with the collar and lid on since Sunday and it is now Wed evening. I have not tasted it yet, not 100% sure if I did it like I was supposed to. Anyone help my out, offer some advice? Should I remove the collar? I can see the beer on top and what I assume is the yeast around the bottom.

Hi jason B25,

Ive only got 2 days up on you but the guys here are really nice and can offer you some good advice. i started with the coppers larger that comes in the kit. you might be talking about priming sugar that helps give it the bubbles[biggrin] but you better waiti for another forum member.

i removed my kollar after 3 days i think as long as you see a thick crust you know the yeast is doing the work. if you see that and its been 3 days i say remove but im sure someelse will be along soon to correct me if im wrong.

Welcome to the club

Welcome to the Forum Jason!

I don't know much about Mr Beer kits. Do they only make 8 litres or so? If so, that may be why you don't add anything extra.

Anyway, beer on top and yeast (trub) on the bottom is good. It may be finished fermenting. Have you taken a gravity reading?

As for the collar, I don't use it unless I am brewing a beer I think may be explosive. And when I do use it I just leave it in until the end. Removing it only makes it easier to clean but doesn't achieve anything else.

Archived