Coopers Community

APA Yeast

Nick

Hi Gents. A few months ago i started a thread regarding the sulpher (eggy) smell that all my APA seem to get. Its either during ferment and or in the bottle.

It lasts for 2 or 3 weeks after bottling, but after a month it goes and the beer is fine.

Is it something to do with the yeast? Last night i put another APA down, but this time i used the yeast from an IPA kit. Is this the same yeast?

What yeast do you think is best? i am happy to use what ever is recommended to avoid the sulpher smell and produce an even better beer.

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick.

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=1803

The sulphur smell is probably caused by the lager yeast mixed in with the ale yeast and it's nothing to worry about.

The kit yeast with the IPA is just ale yeast, whereas the APA has a mix of lager & ale yeast. [bandit] You shouldn't get the eggs this time. [lol]

EDIT: Having said that, I would usually go for US-05 with the APA kit and use the kit yeast as a nutrient. [rightful]

The kit yeast with the IPA is just ale yeast' date=' whereas the APA has a mix of lager & ale yeast. [bandit'] You shouldn't get the eggs this time. [lol]

Thanks Phil, i thought as much with the APA yeast being a mix or ale and lager yeast and i will have a shot with the US-05 next time.

The sulpher smell doesnt worry me, but it takes a month to dissapear in the bottle, but i occasionally want to drink them sooner[innocent]

I have generally found that I get a sulpher smell when the yeast is stressing. One thing that helped me was to check the use by dates on the cans that I buy and use the one with the longest use by date.

I usually now replace all the kit yeasts with other yeasts similar to what Phil does.

Archived