Coopers Community

bottle priming with honey

benh18

One would think you would have to boil it first to avoid any infection risk. Aside from that it sounds like it would be a royal pain in the arse unless you bulk primed with it. I've never done it but trying to measure out something with the physical characteristics of honey in such small amounts seems a lot of mucking around to me.

Hi Benh18.

has anyone had good success bottle priming with honey?

been reading a bit about it, but cant really find a volume to use per bottle.

I've done a handful of brews using honey, but each time I used the honey as part of my mix of ingredients in the fermenter.

If looking to use it in place of priming sugar or carbonation drops for individual bottle priming, it would simply be too cumbersome & near impossible to do.

This is a good case for what is known as "Bulk Priming". Here is a Link to a guide on how to go about the procedure.

To answer your original question, use 50% more weight in honey when replacing that priming volume of sugar/dextrose.

i.e. bulk priming with sugar @ 6gms per litre for a 23 litre brew: 6 x 23 = 138gms

i.e. bulk priming with honey @ (6gms+50%)= 9gms per litre for a 23 litre brew: 9 x 23 = 207gms

I hope that helps.

Anthony.

has anyone had good success bottle priming with honey?

been reading a bit about it, but cant really find a volume to use per bottle.

Tried it some years back and was not impressed and never tried it again. As I recall it the bottles started out with a pleasant honey like sweetness but that quickly dissipated as they conditioned. The beer lost that flavor and became dry. The carbonation kept increasing as well and there were gushers.

I find there are enough things that can go wrong in brewing without adding another variable.

Archived