Coopers Community

Scratches in FV

JimmyFozzers

Hey all, so I bottled my first brew last night. Not expecting much as I pitched at 31C, but hey-ho. Next brew going on tonight straight into my temp-controlled fridge, so should be a bit better [biggrin].

Anyway, on cleaning out my FV last night, I noticed a load of circular scratches in the bottom of the FV, as if someone had cleaned it out before with a scourer. I only used my hand and warm water to do the initial clean, so I didn't do it. Only other thing I can think of was the plastic spoon scratching it when I mixed all the ingredients. Has anyone else noticed this, or is there a chance that my kit could have been used before (i.e. returned to the shop)? My only concern is bacteria in the scratches, or am I worrying over nothing?

I have them too and I am pretty sure they are from the spoon. They are fairly superficial and not very deep.

As long as you clean and sanitise properly it should be fine.

I concur with the Hairy one, i have 2 and i have the same scratches on both. The spoon is the only thing that would have caused it in my case. I have turned out 30 odd brews between them both and not had any problems. I soak mine in bleach for a couple of hours before starting another batch, but most of the lads here use Starsan. glad to hear you are looking at temp control...makes a huge difference

Just make sure there are no burrs off the scratches that might catch bits of cloth or sponge and the rest should be fine.

Although pitching at 31 is not ideal, if you got the temps down quickly it'll be fine [happy]

Just don't do it again[annoyed]

And congratulations on bottling your first brew[biggrin]

Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Yeah got temp down after about 48hrs, but my initial tastings haven't been promising. Mind you after a few weeks in the bottle, who knows...? Putting down the Canadian Blonde tonight with 500g DME, 700g DEX following the CraigTube video - so we'll see how that goes.

Archived