Coopers Community

Pride of Ringwood - Much maligned

Scottie

Normally I would spring to the defence of a local product, developed in Victoria and grown less than 20ks from my front door.

I may even be on the wrong track here but I just cracked another of my Dr. Smurtos Golden Ale, just over 12 months bottled. Based on the Coopers Sparkling Ale kit this one still packs a bitterness that I don't really enjoy, therefore I am assuming that it is the POR. I will admit that I am not a real big fan of the big Red form Coopers, only ever purchased and drank 1 carton.

I used 250g of Medium Crystal in this brew and the caramel aroma is more pronounced than any I have experienced, obviously the aroma from the Amarillo additions has dissipated. However the caramel flavour is barley detectable on account of that bitter kick that I am complaining about.

Perhaps it isn't POR, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Before I got "seriously" into home brewing CSA was my favourite beer. Every sip was a trip to heaven. Recently I made a brew bittered, flavoured and aroma'd? with POR. Started out OK then with a bit of maturing the POR taste really came out and I now have a real aversion to POR.

I bought a tallie of CSA the other day and all I could taste was the POR. I think I've read that the only hop addition in CSA is POR at 90 min so there shouldn't be much flavour but I could sure as hell taste it. I think I'll have to go and buy another to try just to be sure [biggrin]

I also got a bit of the taste out of one of my CPA kit based brews but it seems to have mellowed, or the other hop additions are overpowering it.

The pres of our home brew club has just made a couple of POR based brews, including a stout, so we'll get to taste these next meeting so I'll see how some more brews with POR taste.

I'm not 100% sure yet but I don't think I like POR anymore.

Damian.

Thanks Damian

Interesting comments. I was just sampling this one to see if it would be OK to take to a mate's place tonight. I opened two and only drank 1 8 ounce glass. Tipped the bottles out, couldn't drink it but I could have sat there all afternonn enjoying the caramel aroma [biggrin]

Hi Scottie.

I've done a version of Smurto's JS Golden Ale kit clone.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the recipe run down you used?

The one I brewed was as follows...

TC Coopers Sparkling Ale kit 1.7kgs

Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract 1.5kgs

CaraMalt grain 250gms

Amarillo 15gms @ 15, 10, 2, & dry hop.

US-05 yeast.

The kit certainly has enough bitterness without adding to it to to much in this recipe. I haven't found anything offensive with it regarding the P.O.R. I just made a note to up the late hop additions next time I brew it because as you said the aroma from the hops dissipates relatively quickly over a few months.

I've done 3 brews using the P.O.R this time in. I have no problems using it as a bittering hop. I personally find it has good bittering characteristics. I would not however use it as a flavour/aroma hop. It's earthy/woody like characteristics are not something I want as a prominent taste & aroma for my beers though.

I read some threads (on another forum [innocent] ) a little while back discussing Coopers APA & P.O.R. From that I did an experimental brew using the Coopers AUS Pale Ale kit, some LDM, some light crystal, & a 20gm addition of P.O.R. boiled for 30-40mins purely added with the intent as a bittering addition, along with re-cultured Coopers Commercial Ale yeast. I added NO flavour/aroma hop additions of any sort. I've just started drinking a few of them, & they drink well for the experimental purposes I intended to see & learn from. From that brew I understand a lot more about the backbone of the AUS Pale Ale kit & how to now tinker with it in the right areas for the flavours etc that I want.

Don't write off the P.O.R. I reckon it's a good bittering hop. [joyful]

P.S. I did read your comment about me saying "I haven't used anything from the Coopers International range...". I forgot the AUS Pale Ale is from that range. [innocent]

Anthony.

Coopers Sparkling

1.5kg Coopers LME

100g LDM

250g Medim Crystal (120EBC)

Amarillo

15g @ 15 mins

15g @ 5 mins

20g @ Dry Hop

Kit Yeast pitched at 23'C

Thanks Yob & Anthony

I'm gald that you both are positive about POR.

I now have another theory. Back when I started steeping grains someone advised me to squeeze the grains in the strainer to ensure all the goodness was extracted. Later I found out that this was not a good idea. So perhaps the bitterness is from my ill treatment of the grain. Damn I am disappointed, it smelt very nice but tastes so bitter. Just have to make it again, extract version, a squirrel a few away.

Merry Christmas to you both.

Could just be age. I have a carton of BillK's Fruitier salad (aussie pale ale can + amarillo/cascade hops and a lil bit of crystal) that I bottled roughly February this year. Struggling to get through them now due to low hop flavour/aroma and a good heap of bitterness(They were a damn fine drop when younger). Maybe blend them as you drink them?

I always found that kit brews (with additions) were at their best between 2 to 4 months of age, after that the hops start to drop out and by 12 months I couldnt tell brews apart, almost no hop aroma to them at all and.. well thought they all sucked TBH.

Im repeating the same experiment and will try one of each of my AG brews at 12 months to see if there is a difference.. I suspect that they will follow a similar pattern.

would be good to see it as a graph.

Yob

try fresh POR flowers as a wet hop, drink young, completely different.

[whistling

Yob - I think your comment was in response to my comment of "[sick]". I wasn't having a go at POR but rather at other posts which have since been deleted. I remain firmly on the fence in regards to POR [biggrin]

EDIT: I should note that I have since removed my post as it made no sense post moderation.

Archived