Coopers Community

50cl bottles

stevend2

Hi, new to the forum so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I started my first ever home brew with the coopers lager kit. Been fermenting now 7 days and looking ahead to bottling. The bottles that came with the kit are 50cl and on the instructions say to use 1 carb drop per bottle however looking online some folk seem to recommend 1 1/2 or even 2 as the lager seemed a bit flat after the second phase. What should i do? , 1 drop as per instructions. I know this is probably been covered before! thanks in advance

Hey Steve

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you? The UK?

One carb drop in 500ml won't give the level of carbonation that many Aussies like, and I guess that's why we get 750ml bottles with 2 carb drops recommended in the DIY kit.

As for the UK I am led to believe that you prefer a lower level of carbonation.

I would go with the recommended dose, it will carb up, and I reckon that it is most likely that the recommended dose is aimed at the domestic market where the kit was purchased.

PB2 may be able to advise further, when the Cricket is finished [happy]

If you want something fizzy (close to carling) go with 1 and a half drops per bottle.

If you want it a bit less carbonated you can add just one.

I use 500ml bottles too (it makes sense to me but there weird australian folk like to complicate things with their schooners, stubbies and longnecks [biggrin] )

But yeah... I used to always use 1.5 drops per 500 ml bottle and it's great for a lager but for an ale or a stout just pop 1 drop per 500ml bottle.

I don't really use drops any more though as I bulk prime my beers and it gives that extra bit of control over the outcome of the beer.[happy]

"Schooner" is now an official measure in the UK thanks to the boys from Brew Dog

Screw your baby girly beer glasses

[biggrin] [biggrin]

What about your toddler girly pint glasses? After your last post, people will think you are a German with your 1 litre steins [innocent]

Archived