Coopers Community

Keg Beer cleared after a good session.

G'day All:

I am currently drinking a keg of TC Aust bitter brewed with 1kg of LME.

I started drinking this keg 3 days ago and I have been reasonably happy with the result, the only drawback was the cloudy appearance.

Last night, a mate and I gave the keg a fair thrashing, removing quite a few litres. The beer still quite cloudy.

Low and behold, at lunch time today the beer is bright and clear!

Any theories?

My theory is that you didn't allow it enough time to settle.

However, the only info I have is that you used an Aus bitter kit and 1kg LME...

Maybe you kegged it as soon as you got the same SG reading over 2 days like the destructions say. I don't know...

But because you're kegging already, I'm going to assume that you know when a beer is ready to keg and say that you might have chilled it too fast.

But really, with the info provided it could be anything from dirty water to aliens...[alien]

It's no mystery.

Sounds like you are close to the bottom of the keg - or more precisely the TOP of the keg.

The keg didn't clear. I takes a few days at low temps for a keg to clear. You have been drawing beer from the bottom of the keg where the haze and yeast have been getting denser as it precipitates and drops. The beer at the top had cleared, you and your buddy (hope he left a tenner on the fridge for you) drank the cloudy beer from the bottom and you are now drawing the clearer beer that was at the top...

It's no mystery.

I concur [rightful]

I have never had this issue but I never tap a keg before 6 weeks (excepting that accidental tapping of the Styx River Pale Ale after 3 weeks). I think I read in another post that Jack Drinks his beer from the keg at a fairly young age.

Obviously there is nothing to worry about, other than appearance, and looking at a couple of other threads Jack it looks like you and your mate were drinking all the good vitamins and minerals.

On the bright side you more than likely woke up next day with no hangover and are unlikely to catch a cold or the flu for at least 18 months [lol]

Thanks Chaps for the informative and humorous comments! However, I am now left pondering should I gas up the keg as soon as it has chilled, or let the beer settle for a few days before carbonate it?

I am now left pondering should I gas up the keg as soon as it has chilled' date=' or let the beer settle for a few days before carbonate it? [/quote']

Hey Jack

I must admit that I gas my beer at the desired carbing pressure as soon as I keg it. Keg, seal, gas, burp and into the Kegerator.

I know they recommend chilling to the desired temp before gassing but TBO I can't be bothered stuffing around. I don't see any adverse affect as far as Carbonation goes.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I'm looking to move into kegging next year.

Nooby question coming...

Is it a "Given" that the first few pours will be a bit cloudy regardless of how well you cold conditioned?

Anthony.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I'm looking to move into kegging next year.

Nooby question coming...

Is it a "Given" that the first few pours will be a bit cloudy regardless of how well you cold conditioned?

Anthony.

Only if you carb naturally. I've only done that once, for me its carb with gas, 19 litres, straight from the bucket to the Keg, no finings, no filtering, or cold crashing clear from the first pour to the last.

The DIY primary fermenter, mostly they have been down for 2 weeks but the last 2 have been three weeks. From what I understand extra time in the FV is equivalent to aging, when you force carb you can drink them earlier. It seems that the secondary ferment is what necessitates the extra ageing time.

...when you force carb you can drink them earlier. It seems that the secondary ferment is what necessitates the extra ageing time.

As you well know Scottie, that works well for general ales & even some lager/pilsner brews, but what do you do differently when it comes to prepping say a stout for kegging?

In the bottle it takes much longer to reach a good point for drinking. Can you decrease this time by any measurable point excluding the obvious 2 week basic secondary ferment required when bottling vs C02 carbing?

Do you use a secondary vessel to age the brew before kegging it, or age it in the keg before carbonating it?

Anthony.

As you well know Scottie, that works well for general ales & even some lager/pilsner brews, but what do you do differently when it comes to prepping say a stout for kegging?

In the bottle it takes much longer to reach a good point for drinking. Can you decrease this time by any measurable point excluding the obvious 2 week basic secondary ferment required when bottling vs C02 carbing?

Do you use a secondary vessel to age the brew before kegging it, or age it in the keg before carbonating it?

Anthony.

Anthony

So far I have only kegged Ales so I can't really comment on Stouts or Lager. Lager will be different and when I do one I will need a Diacetyl rest due to the "artificial" carbonation taking place. At the minute I just leave it on the trub for three weeks, it may be risky but I am confident that I have sanitised well enough to prevent infection.

When/if I get around to a lager I will rack it to a secondary for lagering prior to kegging.

I'd love to do a Stout with Nitrogen, but the expense, I'll keep them in the bottle. As much as I have enjoyed my Stouts, Porters and English Bitters I must admit that the American Pale Ales offer more in terms of variety, I just can't wait to taste my next A(USA)PA at two weeks [love].

However I would think that the same theory would apply to Stout

1) Larger volume ages quicker

2) Natural carb removes the off flavours generated during secondary ferment.

Just a quick comment on Stouts. Generally stouts are ales as they usually use ale yeasts

Agree

My first used the brewcraft English ale yeast, then S04 my last used WYeast 1275. I'm not keen to keg a stout though as it generally takes me a lot longer to get through a batch of Black Beer. A Guinness style on tap though (gassed up with Nitrogen) would be a great novelty and talking point though [happy]

Archived