Coopers Community

Hops

trabfountain

I'm still waiting for my STC-100 temp controller but in the meantime made a TC Authentic IPA. The guy at the Brewmakers store suggested to use the kit with a 1.5kg tin of LME which I did. OG was 1050 and FG was 1010 so I guess I ended up with around 5.1 abv. It's only been down for a week and I couldn't wait to try one. Taste is OK but perhaps a little lightweight. As I'm new to brewing other than literally just kits and mainly stout at that. I would appreciate some advice as to how to improve this IPA. I have read a lot on this forum about adding hops but again being a newbie I would have no idea what hops or even how to add them to the brew.

Hi Trab

What do you mean by lightweight? Are you talking about the aroma or taste?

Adding hops via dry hopping will impart aroma to your beer but not really affect the body. Our senses confuse aroma with flavor so to some degree you will also perceive an alteration to the flavor.

Perhaps you are talking about mouth-feel. Protein and dextrins in your brew will provide a perception of body. The amount of residual sugar in the beer basically determines whether it is full, medium or light bodied. Each style of beer is custom designed to have the appropriate appearance, aroma and taste for the style of beer.

Without knowing what you like, all I can say is this:

Add shitloads of hops and experiment with different yeasts, malts, and grains.

But yeah, 'a little lightweight' is hard to overcome without specifics.

What exactly is your beer missing?

And what exactly do you want it to be?

I should have been more specific but I guess it needs more bitterness and a bit more body. A particular favourite of mine is the Sierra Nevada IPA so if I could get close to that I'd be more than happy. You mention adding hops and but I'm not sure what type I would need or how to add them to the brew. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

A particular favourite of mine is the Sierra Nevada IPA so if I could get close to that I'd be more than happy.

To be pedantic - the Torpedo is an Extra IPA - like a double, or Imperial I guess. 7.2%! 65 IBU's

Approx. SG = 1.071 and FG = 1.016

To get close to that you would need to up a lot of the ingredients - extra hops for bitterness, extra fermentables and heaps of dry-hopping. They use Magnums, Crystal and Citra?

Here's an AG recipe I found

Hey Fountain Man

Did you taste this from the FV or the bottle [unsure].

Either way carbonation would be low, so it will be hard to tell what the end result will be like.

I'd say give it a month in the bottle but in the meantime have a search of the recipe forum to look for some hopped up versions. I'd be looking to put one of these down and then compare the two.

Hi Trabfountain.

One of the forum's more experienced members supplied the following chart to help new brewers understand boil cook times to achieve certain levels of bitterness, flavour & aroma.

hop_utilization.jpg

Without getting too technical, the amount of bitterness, flavour & aroma released by a hop variety from a hop boil can vary from hop to hop. Those can include the known Alpha Acidity percentage of the hop being used & the Specific Gravity of the liquid that the hop was boiled in, just to name a few.

The above chart has been very helpful to me and numerous others on this forum when looking at structuring hop boils.

As far as how much hops you want to throw at certain brews, that is something we all experiment with & really comes down to the brewers individual likes & dislikes.

AdamH's links will help you considerably with your attempts at replicating the Sierra Nevada style(s). If you like their beers & BIG hop intervention, then perhaps their Hoptimum is more your speed! [wink]

Good luck with it. [biggrin]

Anthony.

can vary noticeably for a specific hop outside this chart.

I no understand what you mean... all hops fit within the chart..

less time = more flavour / aroma (10 - 20 mins)

more time = flavour / bitterness (20 - 35 mins)

more time again = bitterness (35 - 60 mins)

dats wat the chart shows. overlap.

[innocent]

Poor choice of words in my case there.

As you well know, Isomerisation of a hop occurs differently within different specific gravities. Levels of bitterness, flavour & aroma vary from hop to hop, particularly when looking at your bittering hops based on Alpha levels?

That was the point I was trying to get across.

Fair enough call?

Edit: My above post has been corrected.

Anthony.

Archived