Coopers Community

Ice in wort

Mainiac

I am getting ready to to brew a batch today and in the process making sure I have my ice bath ready. I was wondering why nobody puts ice in to the hot wort to cool it down? I have heard there is a risk of infection but how is that worse than using my cold (14-15)well water to top it off? It is the same water I will make the Ice with.

I also put ice in if needed. I read somewhere (maybe John Palmer?) that bags of ice from the bottlo etc. aren't a good idea as they can have microbial organisms in them.

But that hasn't stopped me in the past....

I haven't lost a batch yet. But maybe I am playing with fire....

I haven't had to do it for a while because my temps have been ok

I also put ice in if needed. I read somewhere (maybe John Palmer?) that bags of ice from the bottlo etc. aren't a good idea as they can have microbial organisms in them.

But that hasn't stopped me in the past....

I haven't lost a batch yet. But maybe I am playing with fire....

I haven't had to do it for a while because my temps have been ok

Mate

I never even put that stuff in my Jack Daniels when I used to drink it. I do put ice in the FV to cool the wort but always stuff I've made me self just like Lord Eoin says.

Personally, I think ice in wort is fine. I say good luck to any bacteria that can live happily at both 0 and around 20 degrees.

If you have to sterilise your ice making equipment, you would have to sterilise the pipes to your house.

Although, if John Palmer really said don't use ice, there could be something to the theory.

Just my 2c.

-Dyl

I am getting ready to to brew a batch today and in the process making sure I have my ice bath ready. I was wondering why nobody puts ice in to the hot wort to cool it down? I have heard there is a risk of infection but how is that worse than using my cold (14-15)well water to top it off? It is the same water I will make the Ice with.

I often freeze a couple of large (1 litre) blocks, but I use starsan on the freezing container first.

Personally, I think ice in wort is fine. I say good luck to any bacteria that can live happily at both 0 and around 20 degrees.

If you have to sterilise your ice making equipment, you would have to sterilise the pipes to your house.

Although, if John Palmer really said don't use ice, there could be something to the theory.

Just my 2c.

-Dyl

The ice won't be at zero anyway. The average home freezer will be at around -20.

Archived