Coopers Community

Quick Question before I bottle my first beer

Snowbeast

Hi All,

Tomorrow I am bottling my Canadian Blonde, I have used BE2 with it.

In a previous post I stated my hydrometre is broken.

I have left it fermenting for two weeks.

there is some BE2 at the bottom of the bucket and at the top there is a clearer liquid forming at the top, can i stir it?

cheers

Hi All,

Tomorrow I am bottling my Canadian Blonde, I have used BE2 with it.

In a previous post I stated my hydrometre is broken.

I have left it fermenting for two weeks.

there is some BE2 at the bottom of the bucket and at the top there is a clearer liquid forming at the top, can i stir it?

cheers

That's not BE2 at the bottom, that's yeast, proteins and other stuff that's settled out, and you don't want to disturb it.

Not sure what the clearer liquid is, can you take a couple of pictures for us to have a look at? It could just be the normal beer which looks lighter at the top because the light is going through less beer to reach it.

Definitely don't stir it up. You will find that people go to great lengths to get the least amount of that stuff in the beer.

You should be right after two weeks but the only way to really determine whether it has finished fermenting is to use a hydrometer.

Are you bottling into PET bottles? If so, you shouldn't have a problem. Just keep an eye on them and if you find they are getting over carbonated then you always release some gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry 'bout the late reply, I was away for work a bit.

The light color was just the way the light shone.

I bottled it today (22 days in FV) i know its a long time but my hydrometre broke and was away this week.

Came out crystal clear.

Cheers for the help.

When you say your hydrometer broke, in what way? If it's the tube, that's ok just use something similarly narrow (to avoid wasting beer) - the hydrometer itself will still float.

But, if you broke the hydrometer head to you LHBS (local home brew shop) and pick up another one - you will need it.

Archived