Coopers Community

Grain Substitute for LDM

Hi guys.

For those that primarily All Grain brew, I was wondering what base malt grain most of you use as a substitute for Light Dry Malt Powder or even Light Malt Extract. I understand that different brews may call for different base malts at times, but for a standard Ale brew, what would you use? & what weight ratio difference is there to obtain similar malt flavours between using the grain compared with using the malted powder?

All thoughts welcomed.

Anthony.

I would say the nearest grain substitute would be Ale Malt.

Generally when I am converting an all grain into a partial I would substitute 2kg ale malt grains for 1.5kg liquid malt.

But it all depends on your mash efficiency etc. I think the above conversion is based on a 70% efficiency.

Hi guys.

For those that primarily All Grain brew, I was wondering what base malt grain most of you use as a substitute for Light Dry Malt Powder or even Light Malt Extract. I understand that different brews may call for different base malts at times, but for a standard Ale brew, what would you use? & what weight ratio difference is there to obtain similar malt flavours between using the grain compared with using the malted powder?

All thoughts welcomed.

Anthony.

Any Pale Ale malt. I was thinking of giving Maris Otter a try myself.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=21

Thanks for the ratio Hairy. The efficiency ideal, I'm still having a little trouble understanding correctly. It seems that temperature, start water volume, grain weight & final wort volume all play a part in that percentage figure.

Any Pale Ale malt. I was thinking of giving Maris Otter a try myself.

Thow shall now be known as Damien "The Omen" E1.

You obviously like beer on the dark side! [lol]

You need to read some brewing books and also look up a few AG recipies

I am looking at All Grain recipes. That's why I'm asking the question(s).

Anthony.

Hi Yob.

I don't have the ability to brew All Grain yet Yob. I do have the ability to Mash effectively in water volumes of 6-8 litres. I'm simply trying to add as much grain into my future brewing as I can effectively with the volumes I am restricted to at the moment. With that thought process, you start to look where you might be able to substitute LDM's & LME's for pure grain as much as you can for a fuller flavoured beer result.

I do respect your knowledge & brewing expertise, & your insights would be appreciated on a personal level. Your extended thoughts would certainly be good reading for the up & coming, improving brewers on this forum.

I personally pose questions on the forum as a means of hopefully fast-tracking my progression to brewing excellent quality beer. I respect those that have taken the time to read & learn the best practices for brewing high quality beer, & hope that their love & passion for brewing great beer, allows them to share their knowledge openly & wantingly on the forum.

I joined the forum back in early September, & due to the fantastic advice I have received over just a few short months, I am now producing beer of a standard I never could have without my interaction with you guys (& gals) on the forum.

For that I thank you all.

Anthony.

Lusty, just tweak your recipe with the ratio I gave you earlier

2kg Grain = 1.5kg Liquid malt

It is a good rule of thumb and close enough for the amount of grains you will be using.

And then play around with grains and styles. Use ale malt, marris otter, munich malt, vienna malt, pilsener malt etc etc

Good luck with it!

Thanks Hairy.

Lusty, just tweak your recipe with the ratio I gave you earlier

2kg Grain = 1.5kg Liquid malt

It is a good rule of thumb and close enough for the amount of grains you will be using.

And then play around with grains and styles. Use ale malt, marris otter, munich malt, vienna malt, pilsener malt etc etc

Good luck with it!

Effectively what weight of grain can I mash in say 6 litres of water?

Anthony.

You will be buying that 19 litre pot from Big W soon and you know it [biggrin]

Pretty soon mashing 2kg of grain won't be enough for you.

If I remember rightly, you don't have that 19 litre pot yet either Hairy?

BillK is eagerly pushing you though... [biggrin]

P.S. Keep on him BillK. [wink]

Anthony.

Archived