Coopers Community

European Lager

Sticky Wicket

Hello brewers, I now have my temperature controlled fridge and are looking to brew my first lager at the suggested temperature 12C.

I was looking at using the following ingredients and would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

1 x can Coopers European Lager

1 x can Coppers Light Malt Extract

250 grams Dextrose

Should I use the kit yeast or S23 Lager yeast?

Any suggestions for hops or leave as is?

Should the initial temperature be higher and then drop?

I read on this site about rising and crashing the temperature at FG for a period of time, is this solely to have yeast settle and clean up the beer, or is it critical to the lagering process?

Any advice is welcome, and your thoughts on the finished product.

Hey Sticky.

Lagers tend to not have an upfront hop aroma or flavour. But it always adds something if you do. Perhaps a short boil and dry hop of some Hallertau hops.

I would also go with the S-23, for the main reason that you get more yeast (11g vs 7g).

If pitching 2 packets of yeast then pitch at 12 degrees. If you are using 1 packet then pitch it higher (18-20 degrees) and bring the temp down to 12 degrees after 12-24 hours.

Ferment at 12 degrees and when the ferment is around 75% finished, raise the temp to around 18 degrees for a few days. This is for a diacetyl rest. You may not need it but if you have the ability to do it you may as well.

After that, drop the temp as low as you can. It is then up to you how long you lager it for. I only do it for a couple of weeks, otherwise the damn lager monopolises the fridge.

Also, steeping 250-300g Carapils would be good.

Thanks Hairy,

I will head your advice, if I was to use the kit yeast and S23 would you start that at 12 degrees or would you only do that with 2 packets of s23?

I have never steeped Carapils before, is this a risky process for a novice, is their anything I should be mindful off?

Is the European lager kit going to produce a good beer or would you suggest an alternative?

Archived