Coopers Community

A very quick question?

Andy Ale

Ummmm welll ahhhhh....I have two fermenters in a fridge, One with a CPA and the other a Coopers Ginger beer. Herein lies my problem I thought I would check the fridge and low and behold I have left it on for a bit longer than I wanted[unsure] [whistling [crying] the FV's temp strip are reading 10c, the fridge was reading 8.7. The CPA is at day 7 and the ginger at day 4.

What should I do? *do nothing my dear U R NOT QUALIFIED*

Hi Andy Ale.

It seems obvious to me that you are simply using a normal fridge with NO temperature control at the moment in an attempt to regulate the temperature of your brew.

Constant temperature is very important when brewing so you do need to address this.

One of our most experienced forum members "BillK" has a link to buy a recognised quality fridge temp controller on E-bay at a good price. If you ask him nicely, I'm sure he will be accommodating with that link.

If wiring up a temp controller is not for you, then the use of a an electrical plug-in timer maybe useful to you instead. This suggestion was also offered up as an alternative by the same forum member, BillK. This is a cheaper alternative to true temperature control, but is certainly a viable alternative.

He's such a sweety like that! [biggrin]

On a serious note, you can preset the cheap timer to run your fridge for a set period & shut it off for a set period (over & over) to maintain a temperature you require for your brew. It will take some trial & error before you perfect regulating temperature using the timer though.

Good luck.

Anthony.

Don't stir your brew when there is no need. Why introduce a chance of:

a/ oxidising it

b/ infecting it or

c/ losing your blanket of C02 on top which helps protect your brew

All you need to do is as LordEoin suggested... just turn your fridge back to the appropriate brewing temp... i.e. 18C-20C for an Ale.

It will take a little longer to complete it's fermentation as the yeast is likely to have to "wake up" but all will be good eventually.

With regards to finding a temp controller, just do a search for STC1000 on Ebay. They have gone up since I bought mine but you can get them for about $22 delivered from Hong Kong (about 2-3 weeks delivery) or there is an Adelaide brewshop now that sells them for about $23 and you will get it in a couple of days.

The only issue with this one is that it will only heat or cool. It won't switch between heating and cooling if need be.

The 10 Amp one does both - it's the one I have. The relay inside is a changeover relay. I shoulda pointed that out to save confusion [pinched]

Archived