Coopers Community

Yeast Help

BrewingBenny

Hi mate,

Different yeasts act in different ways and are bred to do so to create the profiles for the various styles.

Mixing two yeasts of different strains will not likely harm your brew but it will impact (in some cases severley) on the flavour, aroma and style of your beer.

In my humble opinion, If your making to style then only use the correct yeast!

Hi Benny.

I would say that most of the threads where you read guys using the kit yeast + an additional bought yeast, they are either brewing high Original Gravity beers, or are brewing at lower temperatures, or both.

In each case, it is important to have a correct dosage of viable, active yeast to ferment the brew sufficiently.

A while back one of the guys gave me a link to MrMalty's Yeast Calculator. By simply typing in the expected Original Gravity of your pending brew, & the style of beer you plan to produce (this setting is reliant on you following correct brewing temperatures for that style), the calculator will give you an accurate assessment of how much yeast you should be pitching, whether you use dry yeast, liquid yeast, or yeast re-pitched from slurry.

Some of the more experienced guys on the forum can certainly explain the use of this calculator more thoroughly, so once you've had a look at it, if you have any questions I'm sure someone here will be able to help you further.

Good luck with it Benny. [joyful]

Beer.

Hi everyone' date=' is it the done thing to add the packet yeast with a specialty yeast. [/quote']

+1 to Graham. Having used several strains I find the difference between yeasts easy to discern. Therefore I would not consider mixing different strains.

Mr Malty is a good tool but not really applicable to mixing different yeast strains. If you punch in the numbers and need more yeast them buy more of the speciality yeast. Alternatively buy liquid yeast, such as Wyeast, most likely you will end up with a surplus rather than a shortage; So you can split the yeast between two or more brews.

PS I've changed my handle on the Coopers Forum. No more Nelson Amarillo, I was getting myself confused with the Nelson's light recipe.

Hi again BillK.

If you need more yeast and have a little time and want to save having to buy more' date=' just step up what you already have.[/quote']

From a very brief search on this forum, I cannot see any previous discussion on what is a correct procedure for "Stepping Up your Yeast".

I have a rough idea of how to do it, but I still think reading the facts from someone who successfully does this time & time again, can only help those looking to learn. [happy]

Feel free to explain your methodology those that are comfortable & successful with this practice.

Beer.

If that 1g per liter holds true, why do they supply only 7g packets?

Mr malty works like this,

Viability x OG x liters

Its important to know your yeasts manufacture date if using dry yeast, clearly the older the yeast the lower the viability the higher the pitch rate.

As for stepping up/starters, do youself a favour and build a stirplate.

Yob

Scott.... you change your nick more times than I do my undies [pinched]

I have an identity Crisis, someone here is using my real name [biggrin] [lol] [innocent]

Anyway you shouldn't use your best beer ever as your nickname... especially when its only brew #7. I have done another 30 best ever brews since then [rightful]

From what i understand Pb2 said on 1 thread you can put down 1gm yeast per 1 ltr brew as long as the yeast is the same.If i'am wromg again my brews will on ly get nicer.[lol] [lol]

Are you sure he was talking about yeast and not a general dry hopping guide?... I don't know but I find what you said a little unusual as a standard amount to brew is 23L and I don't see any 23g packs of yeast anywhere.

Archived