Coopers Community

It's Just a Grain of Malt?

Or is it?

Hi guys & gals.

I've just got back from a BIG day of brew shopping & equipping. Put together a reinforced wooden bottom shelf for my brew fridge, bought a coffee plunger for steeping & hop teas, & visited 3 different brew shops buying about 3 weeks worth of gear. My last stop was at the Beerbelly brew shop where I now buy most of my ingredients. Their prices are very good across the board against their competitors here in Adelaide.

Anyways, when I got to the store there were quite a few customers there & I sort of had to hurry up my order & stupidly bought 250gms of Cara Amber grain instead of Cara Malt grain for a recipe I plan to brew soon. All I've been able to discern since I arrived home is that the Cara Amber has a darker EBC than the Cara Malt, but I don't know anything about the differences in flavour that will be released between the two.

For 250gms worth of steeping/mashing, are they that far apart that I should shelve the Cara Amber, & buy the Cara Malt as the recipe suggests?

All thoughts welcomed.

Beer.

Is it just a grain of malt or a grain of barley that has been malted?

Caramalt is a very pale crystal whilst cara amber is a medium crystal which is darker and more caramelly.

What are you brewing? This will give us a better indication of whether the different grains will have a significant impact on the brew.

If you are brewing an APA or an IPA, then I would probably run with the cara amber and save me a trip back to the LHBS.

I'm pretty sure it's Smurto's kit version of James Squires Golden Ale.

1 x Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit 1.7kgs

1 x Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract 1.5kgs

Cara Malt 250gms

Amarillo hops 15gms @ 15mins, 5mins, flameout, & dry hop.

SafAle US-05

Beer.

Archived