Coopers Community

Can't believe I'm asking but ... Cerveza brew temp?

King Ruddager

I notice that the Cerveza has a mixture of lager as well as Coopers commercial yeast according to the sticky thread above, so what temperature should it be brewed at? Please tell me something low, as I don't have a fridge yet so if SWMBO wants he Cerveza I'll (legally) be able to go out and get one [cool]

Yeah... 'swmbo' wants it.... sure.... [biggrin]

Don't be ashamed to brew the mighty Cerveza, I quite like it..

Anyway.. its a mix of ale and lager yeast, so try and keep it on the lower end of the Ale temps, about 16-18 would be sweet I'd say.

Well, brewed this Tuesday night and pitched the yeast at 22, not knowing that it was actually going to be a warm couple of days. Last night (one day in) the temperature had actually risen to 24 so this morning I'm trying the old wet t-shirt trick to get it back under control.

So, I pretty much just got an old t-shirt, got it fairly wet and dressed the fermenter up in it. That's all there is to it, right? No other special tricks?

That will work to some extent but something like a towel, which holds/retains water, would be better.

You can also put a fan blowing on the wet material to improve it further. Can even sit the bottom of it in s bucket of water if possible and then you will have something like a wick.

Well I can't believe I'm admitting this either and, henceforth, will certainly be known as a "mixer" but ...

I just followed the recipe on the can. It's a full blown K&K using the cerveza mix plus a box of brew enhancer 2.

There's a reason though - I've found that almost all my beers have been experiments of some kind so I'm going through a little "back-to-basics" phase at the moment. I'll finally know what the control group (that's what a scientist would call it, no?) is actually like and so moving forward I'll have a base for comparison [cool]

So, I pretty much just got an old t-shirt, got it fairly wet and dressed the fermenter up in it. That's all there is to it, right? No other special tricks?

Fill an ice-cream container with water and freeze it, throw the ice block under the towel on top of the FV, it drip feeds icy water down the sides, good for 24 hours and keeps it cooler with a very slow temp change. Works a treat.

Archived