Coopers Community

Temp Controller

Hi guys.

I now has a working Temp Controller for the brew fridge I bought a few weeks ago!

Look out Lagers! Mwhahahahahahaahahaha! [lol]

Just a couple of quick questions. . .

I've just given it a quick test run on the fridge to make sure everything was working correctly etc. etc... and set the cut off temperature to 18\xb0C. All worked fine as the controller turned the fridge off spot on 18\xb0C. The interesting thing was that the fridge temperature continued to fall a further 1.6\xb0C to a temperature of 16.4\xb0C before it stabilised. Is this normal? And do I have to factor this into pre-setting calculations in future?

Also how much allowance in degrees do you allow away from your set temperature before you want the controller to restart the fridge?

Cheers,

Beer.

I don't have a temp control set-up (yet) but understand than this is pretty typical of all fridges anyway. To maintain 18 degrees it will cycle on at 18, cool to a couple below, turn off, warm up to 18 degrees over the next hour or whatever, and start the cycle again. The fridge in my kitchen will fluctuate as much as 5 degrees or so.

Taking into account you are talking air temp in the fridge, not the temp of the mix (which will fluctuate much less that the 1.6 degrees) it sounds pretty normal, and pretty damn good.

Nice work Lusty! No looking back now.

Where did you place the temp probe?

I strap mine to the fermenter and I don't get the fluctuations you mentioned. If I set it at 18 degrees then the fridge switches off at 18 degrees and the temperature doesn't change for ages.

But it is measuring the temp of the FV and not the air in the fridge.

Like others have already said, I am assuming you don't have the temp probe attached to anything. Therefore, it will be pretty unstable until it is attached/strapped to a mass of something, ie your fermenter. Another thing you can test it with is in a jar of water. The fridge and heat source will then react to the water temperature and not just ambient fridge temps.

Thanks for the replies guys. [happy]

I thought about it for a bit after I posted the question, & as all 3 of you have eluded to, the probe was just in the open fridge, whereas once it's attached to the FV where the temperature is more stable that fluctuation won't happen. [roll]

And damn, both my FV's have brews in them atm! I was actually comtemplating going & getting another FV, just so I could get a brew going in it! [lol]

It'll have to wait until next weekend. I still have to make a solid wooden shelf for the base of the fridge that can take the weight of the FV before I can use it anyways.

Hairy, that velcro strap you spoke of, is that something I could find at a hardware store?

Also how much allowance in degrees do you allow away from your set temperature before you want the controller to restart the fridge?

No takers?

Beer.

I have mine set at .5 but it is really up to your own preference. I suggest starting at .5 and change it to suit yourself once you have an idea what goes on.

Why don't you just move your current fermenter into the fridge?

I have my probe embedded in a piece of polystyrene and then surrounded by cardboard strapped to the FV with an ocky strap (See Below). Someone else around these parts successfully use his undies [whistling

1003716.jpg

Thanks for the info & the pic BillK.

The styrene acts as an insulator so the probe only measures the temp from the Fermenter & doesn't get interference from the fridge side away from the FV?

Someone else around these parts successfully use his undies
[lol] [lol]

Some people will stretch to any lengths to get the job done right! [biggrin]

Beer.

Archived