Coopers Community

Oven mashing - thoughts?

HenrikF

Tested my oven yesterday, and I can set it quite stable at 66 degrees C..

Let me hear your thoughts/experiences on mashing in a pot in the oven? Anyone tried this?

(I'm not talking full grainbill, just up to about 500-600 grams specialty grains, Cara-aroma and biscuit malt)

if it's specialty grains it doesnt need to be mashed... just soaked and can even be done in cold water overnight.

[smile]

This i knew! or I thought I did, then I saw this And then i didn't know anything again..

And John Palmer also says that biscuit malt needs to be mashed..

Please help Yob![crying]

Hiya HenrikF.

Did you bother to view the link DylanI posted for you in the last thread you started?

If you had, it would have answered the question you posed in this thread.

We are here to help.

Here is the LINK again that DylanI gave you.

Beer.

(I'm not talking full grainbill, just up to about 500-600 grams specialty grains, Cara-aroma and biscuit malt)

Hey Henrick

I have read the same stuff. Anyway for what its worth I steep my spec grains in the oven set at 60'C for 30 minutes. I add the grains to water at 70'C, stir them, put the lid on and place them in the oven. Results are good.

PS

Did you bother...

More 'tude dude

Hiya HenrikF.

Did you bother to view the link DylanI posted for you in the last thread you started?

If you had, it would have answered the question you posed in this thread.

We are here to help.

Here is the LINK again that DylanI gave you.

Beer.

Hey Beer Yes I did read the link, it was this reading that made me think again, as it says that CaraAmber, biscuit malt and other malts, that i believed should be steeped, and have bought thinking they could be steeped actually should be mashed, so now I don't know anything..

I thank you and everybody else for the all the help on the forum[biggrin]

Hey Henrick

I have read the same stuff. Anyway for what its worth I steep my spec grains in the oven set at 60'C for 30 minutes. I add the grains to water at 70'C, stir them, put the lid on and place them in the oven. Results are good.

PS

Did you bother...

More 'tude dude

Thanks Nelson, I am definetly trying this with the next brew[roll]

No apologies this time.... it's not like it was posted in a foreign thread.

Beer.

Take it easy mate. If the question annoyed you just don't answer it.

Technically the OP was asking about people's experiences with mashing in an oven, which Nelson kindly answered.

No one is an expert on everything here. We all know different things and have different experiences so collectively we try to help out.

You will need to add some base malt to get conversion, (Some Pale Ale malt or similar malt with diastatic activity) Id also be mashing for an hour or so, certainly more that the half hour.

AFAIK biscuit has no enzymatic activity.

Yob

Henrik

Yob knows what he's talking about, I'm yet to achieve that level of knowledge.

My method is purely for steeping I haven't progressed to grains that require mashing.

I have always tried to maintain between 65'C and 70'C after reading "How to Brew"

Steeping specialty grain is like making tea. The crushed grain is soaked in hot 150 - 170\xb0F degree water for 30 minutes. Even though a color change will be noticeable early on' date=' steep for the entire 30 minutes to get as much of the available sugar dissolved into the wort as possible. The grain is removed from the water and that water (now a wort) is then used to dissolve the extract for the boil.[/quote']ref: How to Brew

I know that Yob has had success steeping o'night in cold water, but I am doing Palmer's way as a bridging process. One day I will try a partial mash, not too soon though, just in case in turns out too good [innocent]

From Craftbrewer [wink]

'EBC 18 - 27 (mash required): Dingemans Biscuit Malt is a toasted Malt that provides a warm bread or biscuit (Saltine Cracker) flavour & aroma. It will also lend a garnet-brown colour. Use 5-15% maximum. No enzymes. so must be mashed with malts having surplus diastatic power. Good in British ale'

In my opinion Its well worth the effort of a minimash (its a yummy malt) and it sounds as though your oven method will give you that stable temperature to do so.....go for it mate [biggrin]

Tested my oven yesterday, and I can set it quite stable at 66 degrees C..

Let me hear your thoughts/experiences on mashing in a pot in the oven? Anyone tried this?

I think your confusion comes here where you identified, Biscuit Malt as a specialty grain. Biscuit malt needs to be mashed for at least an hour. However, CaraAroma can be just steeped. Having said this, if you are going to do a minimash with biscuit then just throw your CaraAmber in there too.

Thanks again everybody, I think now things a falling into place[cool]

Will be getting my hands on a kilo of pale malt and give mashing a go[devil]

Will propably also read "How to Brew by John Palmer" again[biggrin]

Will be getting my hands on a kilo of pale malt and give mashing a go

Im sorry... it's all over for you now [ninja]

I know, SWMBO will be crazy[devil]

I wonder have many brewers blame you Yob when confronted by the missus..[innocent]

Archived