Coopers Community

I added too much sugar. Do I scrap the brew?

RossT10

I did my first brew today. I used the DIY lager kit. I got the brew enhancer out, then read that I needed sugar. (for some reason I didn't read the brew enhancer box). I mixed up the brew kit and 1kg of dextrose and added yeast, then tested SG. I then noticed the box of brew enhancer and in a panic threw it in and mixed it up. So.. the question is.. Do I just dump it all down the drain and start over with a new kit or what? Sometimes learning the hard way cements the details in a person's head better.

it's your first brew... dont tip it [ninja]

Id be adding some more yeast though and dont hold out on it being a fantastic drop... get some hops, when the ferment is nearly over throw 25-50 g of hops in it.

too much DEX is evil though, 300g max on a kit brew [cool]

Hiya RossT10.

I'd be buying some strawberries to dip in it![lol]

Only kidding. [innocent]

That's a whack of sugar in there. As Yob suggested, adding some hops should help to over-power the sugar quantity.

Good luck with it. [happy]

Beer.

The problem with dextrose is that it ferments out completely, leaving a dry beer without much in the way of mouth feel (thin or watery). However many home brewers brew with a kit and a kilo of Dex or even cane sugar. In your case Ross the BE1 with its Maltodextrin will add some mouthfeel offsetting the dry finish of the dextrose. Also I believe that using too much simple sugar (Corn & Cane) increased the bottle conditioning time. So you may have t wait longer, the full three months, before its half decent. You could Dry Hop as yob suggested, and I'd go for 25g of Nelson Sauvin, and let the whole thing develop. The advantage you've got here is that Alcohol is a flavour enhancer and your brew will come out at about 6%.

PS If you are unsure about Dry Hopping make a hop tea by adding 25g of the hop to a litre of boiled water, let it cool to the same temp as the wort and strain it in.

the BE1 with its Maltodextrin will add some mouthfeel offsetting the dry finish of the dextrose. Also I believe that using too much simple sugar (Corn & Cane) increased the bottle conditioning time.

True Scott. However, the maltodexrin that is in the BE1 balances the dextrose that is also in the BE1. I doubt it will make any noticeable impact on the additional dextrose added to this brew.

I didn't know that using too much simple sugar increases bottling time. Where did you read this?.... not being picky I just wouldn't have thought this so. So just would like to see the creditable source this info come from.

I didn't know that using too much simple sugar increases bottling time. Where did you read this?....
Called out on my inability to reference [biggrin] .

I have used too much Dextrose previously. After a month to 6 weeks in the bottle it tasted soapy (more than one taste test). After 3 months in the bottle it was much better and it kept getting better. My workmate only uses table sugar, he kegs into 50 litres, and reckons if he drinks them prior to 3 months they taste [sick].

I think we are arguing over tic tacs or semantics.

All I'm saying is that if you add too much simple sugar it won't be that flash as a young beer, but will get better with time in the bottle. Now that is probably true with most brews but I believe it to be more so in this case.

I am happy to be corrected but then it is a subjective issue, as are most things to do with food and beverage.

I am also happy to be corrected on my incorrect terminology in using conditioning when I should have said ageing.

If I am still in error then perhaps I need to reserve my opinion [innocent].

I disagree. If this beer is heavily dryhopped it might even be a better brew young. The fresh aroma might help to balance the strong alcohol.

This beer will give a pretty bad head on the morning after no matter what you do to it, but brew it and drink it anyway [biggrin]

Don't worry' date=' all is good.[/quote']

+1 Bill.

My post was a grumpy post night shift post. Being post nighshift can alter your perception and your ability to be coherent [cool]

PS I hope Ross dosen't ditch his brew, and if it isn't what he expects I hope he hangs on to, to see if it improves with age.

Archived