Coopers Community

Yeast Question

Nick

The mrmalty yeast calculator shows that for just about any full strength brew, the supplied 7 gms of kit yeast is never enough. i have read the threads on saving and reusing yeast, but as a simple way of increasing the yeast pitching rate, is it posible to save about a cup of slurry from the previous brew and stir that through the next brew with the supplied kit yeast.

If you have collected (and rinsed) slurry from a previous batch, you should have plenty of yeast for the next brew, no need to add the Kit Yeast (Except as nutrient)

Work out your viability date (when the brew hit FG) and then work out how much yeast you need from Mr Malty, I usually use the "Compact Slurry" and I let the yeast settle in the fridge with a jar (or a sanitised measuring jug) with graduated marks on the side in 50ml increments.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Now I am not agreeing or disagreeing. However, it has been previously pointed out by Coopers that the 7g packet in the kits are enough for the basic kit requirement.

A general consensis is 1 cup slurry for lagers and 1/2 cup for Ales. I personally use 200ml jars filled to almost the top so I guess that's about 175ml for my Ales and have never had a problem.

can i use the slurry from the brew i have only just bottled? i usually bottle and then start another brew straight away. it would be easy to retain some of the old slurry in a sterile cup and then pitch with kit yeast for the next brew

can i use the slurry from the brew i have only just bottled? i usually bottle and then start another brew straight away. it would be easy to retain some of the old slurry in a sterile cup and then pitch with kit yeast for the next brew

How do you know how much is trub and how much is healthy yeast?

The answer to your question is Yes, of course you can.. but you must also ask yourself the question I have asked.

Yob

Thats very diplomatic of you bill [lol]

[innocent]

Nick, yes you can but as Yob correctly indicated you do not know how much is trub and health yeast.

If I am following one brew with one just finished and using the cake, I usually keg almost every drop from the fermenter then add about 600ml of boiled water at room temperature. Give it a bit of a swirl to mix things up then wait for 5-8 minutes then run off what you want from the tap.

The wait allows some of the worthless trub to drop out. However, this still is not as "healthy" a procedure as rinsing your yeast but will get the job done.

I've never actually re-used & re-cultivated my own yeast before so I'm still a little confused about what "IT" is entirely that I am re-pitching into a new brew. I've watched videos on rinsing yeast, & in each case the demonstrator ends up with "X" amount of jars/bottles with separated yeast+trub at the base of them.

It's at that point the guy usually says something like, "..and there you have it, that's how you rinse your yeast", & then the video ends.

So you are left with these jars with trub in the bottom of them & a thin layer of yeast on top of that, & approx 150-300mls of liquid or past brew beer on top of that. What the heck do you then do with this?

Am I to assume you never actually completely separate the yeast from the trub? & that you actually end up repitching a small amount of trub from your previous brew back into your new brew along with the re-cultivated yeast?

Beer.

I might get shot for this however I made a sparkling ale that had an OG of 1.057 I only used the yeast that came with the kit I know major under pitch however fermented down to 1.008 and there was no issues with taste or anything but since I have been using the correct pitch amounts just to be on the safe side however that coopers yeast is like a german tank [devil]

The purpose of rinsing yeast is to seperate the trub from it so you are using only yeast and no trub. If someone rinses their yeast correctly you really shouldn't have any trub in the jar, only yeast and water.

When you start to rinse yeast you should get 3 distinctive layers, not 2. Therfore, I am thinking that maybe what you are seeing at the end is the yeast that has settled out and the trub already omitted and possibly confused with what you are seeing.

You may find Yob's info in this THRED useful.

[cool]

You may find Yob's info in this THRED useful.

Thanks for the link BillK. [happy]

I've just had a good read through it. Most informative.

I'd advise anyone interested in learning to re-use their yeasts from previous brews to definitely take a look at Yob's instructional breakdown of how to go about it.

Good one Yob! [cool]

Beer.

Yes it keeps the costs down and the good thing about yeast is they like to multiply so in theory you can never run out of yeast the washed yeast i use is the coopers recultured yeast and made 3 batches all up with one lot of culture 6 pack of pale ales after the first batch was a pale ale too washed it then used it for another pale ale works a treat and still have a couple of jars of it in the fridge which will be used soon.

Archived