Coopers Community

Hop Rhizome

Hey Guys I am fairly excited a couple of weeks ago I planted my Chinook rhizome and now little shoots are appearing I know they don't yeild much first year but they are in prime position and really good soil with compost etc etc I am at least hoping to get enough for one batch of beer for the first year fingers crossed. Next year I will be getting a couple more varieties. I am hop mad with my brews however mates not keen on hoppy beers and prefer to drink rubbish where as there is a few mates who do enjoy the hoppy beers and have praised me on how good they were so I know I am not the only one who likes them even SWMBO likes my hoopy ales Just can't wait till i have plenty of hop vines to brew all year ha ha i wish Cheers 17 people

Yeah the frosty type weather is over now only planted the rhizome 2 weeks back according to the instructions the bloke i bought them off gave me and the shoots are about 1 inch tall i was rapt to see it growing but its been raining and cold so need to take that into consideration. Did your girlfriend buy actual hop plants from somewhere? or did you grow them from rhizomes?

I planted a Chinook rhizome from Dr. Smurto month before last and after a long period of inactivity it's started shooting. [biggrin]

I'm not fussed if I don't get big honkin' yields from it, as it's more for interest/quality's sake than for saving any money (just the way I see my brewing!)

Good luck everyone!

@Wayne - Most of my mates think VB and TEDs are the nectar of the Gods also. Look at it this way - more sweet, sweet, ale for yourself! [love] [love] [love]

@Phil I agree more yummpy hoppy beers for me by the way Dr Smurto is the same bloke I bought my rhizome from the shoots have come out but haven't sprouted leaves as of yet i give it another week and there should be leaves. I read that first year they don't yeild much its not until the third year onwards they peak in yeild but is fun none the less and being able to say i put hops from my own garden in this beer lol Cheers

Archived