Coopers Community

Anyone made a Morgans Golden Sheaf wheat beer can & a kilo before ?

BohemianMohican

Hi all , haven't posted in a while , been brewing .[biggrin]

Recently had some success with a Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit ( with some grain & hop additions ) which came out pretty nice .

Currently though I have a Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat beer thats now in its 12th day of primary fermenting & the gravity is still dropping .

The kit was on the counter at my LHBS at 1/2 price & I was buying bulk at the time so I impulsively decided to buy it too. Didn't think it might be expired .

Thought I would try to do a simple recipe , no boil or other additions , just the kit & a blend of sugars (750g CSR brewing sugar & 250g of Tooheys liquid brewing sugar) as well as the yeast that came with the kit .

I got an OG of 1040 but panicked (again) after 2 days of no airlock activity or krausen and added a few grams of US-05 (should've taken a gravity reading beforehand I know ) , but it did the trick !

Now it just won't stop [unsure]

I've never done a wheat before so I'm unsure of expected fermentation time etc , to taste it is ;

- light & malty sweet on the tip o the tongue

- kinda corny in the middle

- & a big hit of wheat thats been crushed buy sweaty feet to finish

This taste concerned me so I looked into dry hopping wheat beers & found that its not really to style but went ahead anyway & put 2 Hallertau Hersbrucker plugs in a bouquet garni bag & dropped it in the fermenter once the krausen died down .

I should be bottling it within a few days I reckon , but I just wanted to run this process by anyone interested .

Thought I was smart by switching to ales only for the coming warm weather , but it just shows me there is still alot to learn .

What is the current FG? And what temperature were you fermenting at?

& a big hit of wheat thats been crushed buy sweaty feet to finish

Sounds sensational! Hopefully the dry hop helps with that.

Dry hopping it with Hallertau should be fine. It isn't an overpowering hop. Don't worry about style.

I don't know the make-up of CSR Brewing Sugar or Tooheys Liquid Sugar but I am guessing it is pretty much all simple sugar.

1018 seems way too high for that. FG should probably be closer to 1010.

There are two options:

1. Give the FV a bit of a shake or stir to re-suspend the yeast, or

2. Pitch some more yeast.

And maybe do regular taste tests. If that strange taste is getting worse then it may be an infection.

Tested my wheat beer again today & the FG is 1015 , I guess I'll be bottling it this weekend sometime. I wonder how long that'll take to condition ?! [lol]

When I did a similar recipe with the Euro Lager kit & S-23 it didn't take this long , well the bottle conditioning did .

Whenever I take a gravity reading I always taste it & I am liking it more & more , the hops plugs are helping I reckon. Been gently agitating the FV too , giving it a bit of a swirl , it actually looks like the krausen has perked up again .

CSR brewing sugar is 75% cane sugar & 25% maltodextrin while Tooheys liquid brewing sugar is 100% corn syrup .

Ta very much for your advice Hairy [biggrin]

If I'm not mistaken, Corn Syrup is Maltadextrin. They do not ferment down & are to add body, mouth feel & improve the head of your beer.

Effectively you have added approx. 450-460gms of it to your brew. I normally wouldn't add more than about 250gms myself to a standard 23L brew.

It should be interesting to see how it tastes. It certainly won't lack body. [biggrin]

Beer.

FG is bout 1012 today , I hope when I check it tomorow its the same. Keen to get it bottled! [crying]

I have recently bought a Weienstephaner & a Schofferhofer Hefe's to get an idea of the wheat beer flavour . Think I prefer the Schofferhofer , either way I wouldn't say they're thin beers.

Maybe I'll post a pic of the final product in a couple of weeks , or better yet a video clip of the pour !

I love Schofferhofer' date=' it's my favourite wheat beer [/quote']

+1 to that. [love]

The orange labelled hefeweizen is my favourite. The Weihenstephaner's run a pretty close second too. [cool]

I'm looking forward to The Bohemian mans "verdict" on his current brew. [happy]

Beer.

Well its been in the bottles a week now & I think it needs another week[lol].

Not very fizzy at the moment. Amidst the light , malty , sweet , cloudy-ness & mild hoppiness there is a distinct ORANGE TANG flavour in the middle .

Will post another update when its developed , thanks for your insterest guys !

Archived