Coopers Community

From Kit to Extract

Hi guys.

At some point in the near future, I will have a crack at doing my 1st non-kit based brew, using pure flavoured LME's as a base. I'm fully aware that using pure LME as the base means that you have to then flavour it with hops.

When considering hop amounts for brewing in this style, is there any sort of guide or formula for how much more hops are necessary over your previous additions with using pre-hopped kit cans as your base?

For argument sake, I currently brew a base pre-hopped kit can + non-hop fermentables totalling 3.2kg in base weight. To this I cook & add hops of 15gms for 40mins (cooked for bitterness), 20gms for 15mins (cooked for flavour), & 10gms for 5mins (cooked for aroma)

If you were switching to the all non-hopped DME as your base, what would you increase those mentioned hop weights to, to maintain a similar consistency of bitterness, flavour & aroma?

P.S. I know every beer kit is different, so reference to that is unnecessary.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of those that are having good results with unhopped LME base brewing.

Cheers,

Beer.

Hey Lusty

A couple of links to help you out.

Download this one

to help you calculate the numbers to match the guidelines given in

This one

Also if you are not rinsing your yeast yet I'd suggest giving that a go first so that you can get more value for you yeast spend, plus reportably yeast gives you better results each time round (up to a point).

It really depends on the recipe and style of beer you're brewing. There's no standard hop addition formula. It's based on how many IBU's (bitterness) the recipe/style calls for, so you basically tailor the hop additions to achieve the required IBU's (and flavour/aroma qualities). And it'll vary with the Alpha Acid % of the hops. I believe the higher the AA% then the shorter time you have to boil them to extract the same amount of bitterness than from hops with a low AA%.

I've had good results so far brewing with unhopped extract and adding my own hop additions. I've started to come up with my own little recipes for different beers, haven't got around to making them all yet but will at some point.

+1 to IanH's spreadsheet, it has helped me develop unhopped extract recipes and figure out what sort of hop additions to make to kit brews as well. It's a great tool. I also downloaded the all grain one he did, I haven't mucked around with it much because I'm not doing AG brewing yet.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nelson: The "Download this one" link from the AHB website is only accessible to those that are members of the AHB website (of which I am not).

However the style guideline link will prove useful. [happy]

Otto: Your references to IBU levels coupled with the a fore mentioned style guide will certainly help me craft towards certain style types of beer & help me calculate the applicable hop weights to use for those styles.

Thank you both. [joyful]

Beer.

No problems, we're all here to help each other out where we can. [biggrin]

I do have a formula scribbled on a piece of paper somewhere around here to work out IBU's based on boil times, AA% of the hops and amounts of hops used. I just don't use it now because I have the spreadsheet. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow when I'm not hungover.[lol] But yeah, it certainly does help when creating recipes, in fact I'd say it's an essential part of it.

"Download this one" link from the AHB website is only accessible to those that are members of the AHB website (of which I am not).

You signed up here didnt you? Do yourself a favour and sign up to "the other forum" as well then.. links have been thoughtfully provided and offer help to your end goal..

When I was Kit/extract brewing IanH's spreadsheet was a very helpful tool in more ways than one... I for one suggest that you use all the tools you can to better understand the process and balance. Especially the tools that are free and good.

Yob

"Download this one" link from the AHB website is only accessible to those that are members of the AHB website (of which I am not).

You signed up here didnt you? Do yourself a favour and sign up to "the other forum" as well then.. links have been thoughtfully provided and offer help to your end goal..

When I was Kit/extract brewing IanH's spreadsheet was a very helpful tool in more ways than one... I for one suggest that you use all the tools you can to better understand the process and balance. Especially the tools that are free and good.

Yob

+1

AHB is probably the most informative home brew website around. So much information on there that is well worth the read. There are a few "tossers" but in general it is probably the best brew site around imo.

You will learn a hell of a lot on there even if you never plan to post anything yourself.

You will be surprised at the info on there and also the bargains you can pick up.

No affiliation yadda yadda yadda

Edit: Ian's spreadsheet will aid you to everything you are asking here. It's Da Bomb!

Archived