Coopers Community

Carapils: mash or steep?

DylanI

Hi all

I've been reading mixed messages on carapils. Can I steep some to help with head retention in an extract brew, or do I need to mash it with some base malt?

I want to make a something like the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, which is very light in colour, I was going to use a can of liquid wheat malt and a can of light liquid malt. Do I need to add some carasomething to assist with head retention?

I'd love to hear what people think on this. I was under the impression that caraanything had sugars which can be extracted by steeping, no fancy chemistry required.

Cheers,

-Dyl

I think it would be worthwhile to add Carapils in that beer, although the can of wheat malt should help with head retention.

It only needs to be steeped and not mashed. I believe earlier versions of carapils needed to be mashed but the Weyermann version does not (refer below).

Carapils

I've had a bag of carapils sitting in the press for a while and never got around to using any of it, might aswell start now...

Do i have this right? :

- heat a gallon of water to 70C

- put 200g whole (not milled) carapils in a muslin bag.

- put the bag into the water and maintain 70C for 30 minutes.

- let the bag drain and rinse any leftovers out with a cup of 70C water

- use that gallon in wort.

Yeah everything else seems fine.

Some grains (crystal/chocolate/cara...) can also be steeped overnight in cold water.

I've recently been following these directions for cold steeping. This way temperature is not important.

As always, it would be interesting to see what those more learned that I think about this. But I've done the cold steep a few times now, and everything seems to work out fine.

-Dyl

Archived