Coopers Community

refractometer vs hydrometer

Mainiac

Theres pro's and con's of a refractometer, for example there not great for taking readings from beer i.e. specific gravity, as the alcohol content can cause an incorrect reading.

I originally bought one because I thought it was a direct replacement for the hydro but it isnt, what it is good for is measuring hot wort as the sample is that small it cools in seconds. Its a good tool for all grain brewing when working out efficiency and taking readings from the first and second runnings on the fly, its also good for taking an original gravity reading after the boil.

A hydrometer can do all those things but you either have to wait longer for the sample to cool or you have to use a heat to gravity conversion chart.

Basically a hydrometer can tell everything a refractometer does but a refractometer cannot tell you everything a hydrometer can.

I have a refractometer and love it, but as suggested above, I love it for the right reasons/task.

There are resources available to do the conversion when the beers fermenting but I tend to take Hydrometer readings when Fermenting so I can get a taste.

Both have value in a brewery and are great tools.. the Refractometer is great for knowing your post boil SG so you can work out if any adjustment to Hop schedules need to be done etc...

Yob

Archived