Coopers Community

How long can you leave a batch before bottling?

Freestyler

Hi All,

Well I've been pretty much out of the game for a few weeks lately. Havent been home much or had much free time when I have been home.

I have had a batch of European Lager in my chest freezer set to 10C for probably 9 or 10 weeks now with no chance to sit down and bottle it.

Im thinking this will either be fantastic or a huge bust, probably the bust. Will the yeast be too compact at the bottom to carbonate the bottles or will the whole batch just be sour or off at the moment. Its been in there and barely opened at all for the last few weeks so it has been kept in a clean environment as much as possible. Should I toss it and save myself some time and bottles by getting onto the next batch or would this be ok to go?

Thanks guys,

Hi Freestyler.

I haven't had anything for that length of time so can only go off what I've read - in John Palmer's how to brew he said he had one sitting on the yeast cake for a few months without any adverse affects. But it seems that you can start to get some funky flavours after extended periods.

I suggest taste it now and see what it tastes like

Hi Brew Masters,

I have had a Lager down for 10 days,OG = 1042 ,last 3 days readings have been 1015,Temp is 18*-20* Qeenslander here without a temp fridge.So can i bottle yet.Please don't say leave for another week then bottle.Spring hits tomorrow & so the temp is comming.[annoyed] [annoyed]

Thanks guys,

Well its bottled and smelt and looked clear and decent so lets hope. I checked and it was 10 weeks since putting the brew down, ouch! Can I then also wait a shorter period before drinking? I see they recommend 3 months after bottling, as I've spent two months in the FV would it be ok to try this after one month or should I stil give it 2-3 months from bottling date? Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

G'day Fellas,

This is a question rather than a statement. Given that the brew has been in the FV for a long period and possibly the yeast has settled out of it, is it possible that the carbonation process will be adversley affected?

Cheers

G'day Fellas,

This is a question rather than a statement. Given that the brew has been in the FV for a long period and possibly the yeast has settled out of it, is it possible that the carbonation process will be adversley affected?

Cheers

Hey Wal,

It`s popular belief that there will be enough yeast still in suspension. There had better be anyway since I have a Marzen/Oktoberfest that I have been lagering for 5 months that I plan to bottle up in the next week of so.[unsure]

Thanks Canadian. I'm sure it will work out well for you Freestyler, be sure to let us know. [biggrin]

There had better be anyway since I have a Marzen/Oktoberfest that I have been lagering for 5 months that I plan to bottle up in the next week of so.[unsure]

Maybe you should send me one of your Oktoberfest [love] . Just for research purposes, perhaps there is a difference between the hemispheres that needs to be determined!!! [whistling [innocent]

Maybe you should send me one of your Oktoberfest [love] . Just for research purposes' date=' perhaps there is a difference between the hemispheres that needs to be determined!!! [whistling [innocent']

Maybe I will, Wal. I've never posted anything to Toowooba before![biggrin] I think it would be better if you showed up for my backyard Oktoberfest party where this brew is to be the feature beverage.[joyful]

note: I'm not much of a partier any more so the chances of the bash going down is 60:40 or maybe 54:40.[innocent] [wink]

Archived