Coopers Community

Centennial Paratial Mash

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Gang,

I am trying to formulate a PM recipe. It's a trial run on mashing grains. This is what I was thinking.

2.5Kg 2-row pale malt

1.5Kg LDM

.25Kg Medium 40 Crystal

.1KG Wheat Malt

23L water

US-05

28g centennial 11.1% (60mins)

23g Cascade 7.3% (Dry hop)

Mash grains in 9L of bottled water @ 66C for 60mins then sparge with 4-5L of water @ 70C. Boil for 60 mins add LDM @ F-out. Cool to 21C and pitch yeast.

OG 1.051

FG 1.013

IBU 38.2

SRM 6.9

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. This is the next step for me and I'm a bit nervous.[unsure]

Personally Id go for 20IBU @ 60 and get the rest as late additions, 10min - 5 min and a fistful @ 0

Quite alot (most) of my bittering is now done at 40min.. Im even thinking of doing a 10min IPA. You do use more hops this way though but I feel it does add more character to the beer.

Why Centennial and Cascade? The nickname for Centennial is Super Cascade

Yob

Thanks for the reply, Yob.

I hear you when you are talking about using a multi-staged hops schedule I agree that is the best way to get the most of your hops. Frankly though, after several experiments I'm kinda growing tired of a brew that is too "tangy" with late (flavouing) citrus hops. I like the aroma of Cascade (I have them on hand) and I like Centennial as a bittering hop so I thought I'd keep the hop profile simple as this is my 1st attempt at mashing.

My other thought was to use Citra as a dry hop.

Chad, if that is the beer you are aiming for than it looks fine.

If you are going for a more malt focused beer you could try cutting the wheat malt back to 500g and adding 500g Munich malt.

But in the end this is all about getting the processes sorted and getting a drinkable beer.

Good luck with it! I think you will be surprised at the difference the fresh grains make.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hey Gang,

So I put this one down today. Nothing like moving to the next step to make a guy feel like a rookie brewer again.[crying]

Mashing and sparging was some nerve racking stuff. I had a hard time hitting my "strike temp". Too low. I'll have to get better at that. I was going for 66C for 60mins. I ended up mashing at around 62C for 90mins. I guess this translates to a lighter bodied brew with a higher Alc.%. The OG ended up being 1.054

Anyway, it's in the fermenter now and happily on it's way to becomeing beer.[cool]

Good stuff Chad!

You will work out the strike temp calculation after a couple of brews. I missed my first one by 1 degree so I just ran with it. I recalculated my second one based on that and it was spot on.

I remember you saying that you were using a cooler; did you warm the cooler first?

I'm doing a partial mash American Brown Ale tomorrow but now I have to find where I left my notes from my last batch. I put it somewhere safe that I would remember [crying]

bit late now but.. why didnt you apply more heat? either a little trip to the stove or a little bit of boiling water would have brought it up..

Well done man... I assure you it does get easier.

Yob

I did add some boiling water to the mash. The temp. was originally 59C I was concerned about diluting the mash too much. I didn't think to have boiling water on hand so I tried to warm things up with my sparge water I had already heated. This of course was not warm enoughto bring the temperature. I then boiled some water and added it about 20mins into the mash. This brought the temp up to 62C. I decided to go with it at that point.[annoyed]

I'm still a little confused about mash and sparge water volumes. How much is too much/little? If you use more water in the mash do you use less sparge water? I used 2.85Kg of grain with an initial mash volume 9L. I must have added at least 2.5L to the mash tryng to bring the temp up. I then sparged with 4L. I collected 15L of wort, SG was 1.040 before the boil and addition of the LDM.

I dunno

[annoyed] [unsure]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Paul, Thanks for the tip about beersmith.[cool]

Well, I cold crashed this baby for three days and bottled it up last night. Tasted quite nice from my sample. Light body and bitterness with a nice floral/citris aroma. I ended up dry hopping with 38g of Centennial for 4 days.

The FG worked its way down to a very low 1.008 from the OG of 1.054! This translates into ABV 7%![surprised [w00t]. A little higher than I was look for. It was not unexpected though with the lower than desirable mash temps. Ooops!

Anyways, She'll be, right!

I'm still a little confused about mash and sparge water volumes. How much is too much/little? If you use more water in the mash do you use less sparge water? I used 2.85Kg of grain with an initial mash volume 9L. I must have added at least 2.5L to the mash tryng to bring the temp up. I then sparged with 4L. I collected 15L of wort, SG was 1.040 before the boil and addition of the LDM.

I dunno

[annoyed] [unsure]

What level did you top the fermenter up to? 23 litres looks about right for that receipe and desired OG.

Archived