Coopers Community

Beer storage temperature

MarkJ3

Hi fellow brewers,

I've had an issue where some of my nine year old PET bottle lids have let a small amount of beer pass the seal during secondary fermentation, time to replace them i suppose. The problem is these were in the back of the wardrobe since bottled in May and made the gyprock wall go a bit mouldy[crying] [pinched] .

Now SWMBO[pouty] would prefer if the wardrobe wasn't the main brewery store[pinched] .

Thankfully the offending 6 bottles are tight and have not lost any noticeable amount of beer. So I expect them to be OK to drink[happy] .

My question is, if I have to move most of my brews to the shed, at what temperature will the beer start to degrade?[unsure]

I'm in Adelaide and we often get a week or two above 40degrees in summer, surely this would stuff up my brews?[crying]

Should I dig a pit into my shed where the temp will be fairly constant and cool?[unsure]

Thanks in advance for your advice[cool]

The wadding makes the seal as the cap is screwed down tight. As such, no beer should be able to get under the wadding. Also, stand the bottles upright and they should not lose any beer.

Apart from the beer aging more quickly, PETs can creep when exposed to a combination of high temperature and pressure, increasing the risk of the bottle failing (normally cracking at the base).

Archived