Coopers Community

Hops for european lager

scottb12

Hi everyone,

My next brew is going to be a european lager. I was thinking of the following recipe

Steep 250 gms carapils

25 gms green bullet hops @ 10 mins

250 gms dextrose

And maybe dry hop 25 gms Hallertau.

I also have on hand Czech Saaz, Nelson Sauvin, Fuggles, East Kent golding & Cascade.

Would any of these be any good to add to it.

Cheers

Scott

similar to steinlager which has green bullet hops.

There is your answer then.. scour the internet for a recipe and away you go.

I cant be of more help than that, I dont have the patience for Lagers.

Yob

Considering that most of it's competition wins are in the USA, I am pretty sure Steinlager is more a Premium American lager,in style, than a European lager. As are, Heineken, Beck's and Stella.

Very low to no hop flavour, very low to medium low hop aroma.

I'd say the can is pretty well balanced, If you must add some aroma hops, go for the saaz.

Acetaldehyde and DMS are acceptable (low levels) in the style so no worries if it tastes like green apples or smells like a sulphur pit (+1 for the ciggie butts idea!)

Even better, don't waste your time. Go and buy a case. Use your fermenter and valuable time to brew beer that is better than mega-factory, mega-swill...

99% of the time this forum offers great advice for beginner brewers, sometimes not.

If you want to brew a Steinlager Scott then go ahead.

Try

Can of Coopers Australian Bitter (Kit yeast (Ac+L) or spec Lager yeast

1 kg Light Dry Malt

250g Dextrose

250g Carapils

25g Super Alpha on a short boil

Super Alpha hop pellets. NZ - Crop 2011 (AA 13.4%) NEW SEASON

Used in some of the worlds finest lagers, it has a clean slightly grassy aroma, producing a crisp, clean flavour in the beer, with some nice resiny character

I like the Green Bullet hop, its a well balanced hop that copies the typical European hop profile. After all that's why they developed the hop in the first place. So if its a Steinlager your after then Green Bullet it shall be.

I dry hopped with Hallertau and it created a distinct "soapy" aroma/flavour to it when it was young. It's mellowed as it's aged and it's one of my favourite brews, but it's something to keep in mind.

Having done some searching I am pretty sure it's the hallertau that gave it that character - I most certainly didn't put any soap into my fermenter, equipment or bottles :P

Will stick with Saaz next time.

I dry hopped with Hallertau ................

Having done some searching I am pretty sure it's the hallertau that gave it that character - .

That's a PITA Coxy.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the Hallertau. I made two consecutive brews (Bushy Park Blondes Mk I & Mk II) with the Tasmanian variety and they tasted OK when I did a side by side comparison at 1 month (I was testing different malts). They still taste good and my daughter\u2019s partner says that it\u2019s my best brew yet.

Anyway as far a soapy taste goes I had this experience with my first Blonde (Basic Blonde), I put it down to too much dextrose, at this stage I wasn't adding hops.

Recipe was

Coopers Draught

1 kg LME

500g Dex

After I tasted it 1 month I got SWMBO to confirm to wit "Tastes like soap"

Scottb12 , I had a similair idea about a month ago , but I used a Coopers European lager kit with the addition of 250g Carapils & 25g Simcoe hops (AAU 12.6%).

Wasn't trying to clone any beer in particular but now thats its drinakable I find the addition of Carapils is pretty obvious in the flavour profile , not like Steinlager at all .

Looking back I kinda wish I had used Green Bullet , they're a lower AAU right ? Maybe some Joe White Aussie Pils grain ?

Archived