Coopers Community

Sanitation Bleach and Star San

Gash Slugg

Many a discussion has been had on the Bleach vs Star San war [wink]

Last time I think I posted the wrong interview with Star San Charlie. Here is the right one, its great listening in regards to sanitation. First half about bleach second half about Star San.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/390da96899933961/bbr03-29-07.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d01cc8235d4cf5546c3&c_id=1452161

yeah I have heard this post before, very interesting, I'm a clean freak and use both methods, bleach clean first and rinse over night, then a brewkleen wash and rinse after wiping with a very soft cloth then star san. I'm a bug phobic brewer. to be sure, to be sure. [rightful]

Foam isnt really important at all, in fact it annoys the hell out of me some times, the only real advantage is that it sticks every where coating surfaces. Saniclean can be used, they discuss that in the other interview here.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session/The-Sunday-Session-03-19-06-Sanitation-w/-Charlie-Talley

the foam acts as a surfactant and breaks the surface tension allowing the starsan (and saniclean) to get into the 'pores' of the surface.

both are acid anionic sanitisers, saniclean is just a lower foaming version.

@ gash - Its OK mate, The links Id posted into theat thread had the correct links to the BN which covered it [cool]

Yob

Starsan is perfectly harmless (at the right concentration) and is completely biodegradable etc. etc.

Its why I use it over iodophor (which isnt biodegradable as far as Im aware), if there is a better one on the market then I havnt heard about it

Archived