Coopers Community

Nut Brown Ale

wilfw

I was looking through the 'How to Brew' section of the site and I fancy adapting a can of Coopers Dark Ale into a Nut Brown Ale. The recipe give 2x500g light dry malt and 200g of cystal malt steeped for 30mins. I have got a 1.5kg can of Coopers light malt extract syrup and was wondering if there would be any difference using this instead of the Dry malt extract plus what would be the affect of using 500g of Crystal malt instead of just 200g, would this be overdoing it with the Crystal ? any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for that, I'm at a loss this morning. For the past two weeks I've been sat in front of the TV glued to the Olympics. Fortunately I'm retired so I've been at liberty to indulge. I didn't actualy get to any of the events though I'm not that wealthy!!!!

I saw this conversion somewhere and been using it since:

1.5kg liquid extract = 1.1kg dry extract

I rounded it down to 1kg dry for convenience and it hasn't failed me yet.

If anything, you'll get a better brew for using the syrup instead of the powder [happy]

(can't comment on the grain though)

I've got some biscuit malt on order, is that anything like the Victory malt? also I have some Sonnet hops and some willamette hops,would it be worth late hopping with either of these or does the dark ale already have plenty of hop character, I know it's quite a bitter beer.

Ah yes, so when I use the biscuit malt I believe I can mash it for 30 mins with a diastatic malt extract, something like EDME diastatic malt syrup, don't know if you have EDME in Oz but no doubt you have an equivalent malt extract. I think I'll leave the biscuit malt for making up one of the extract recipes in a book I have called Brew your own British Ale at home, it's full of recipes obtained from several British breweries.

Well I've got the Dark Ale on the go now and thrown caution to the wind and used 500g of Crystal malt. I'm hoping it turns out something like the Batemans Toby Brown I used to drink when I first started drinking back in the mid 70's. They don't make it any more, nostalgia's not what it used to be! [happy]

Archived