Coopers Community

Grain to play with

LordEoin

I got a poke from a friend today saying he has about 20kg of malted barley for me if I wanted it and more available later on if I still wanted it.

So I figured its a pretty good time to try an AG.

Sorry in advance for the lack of information, but its early days.

From what I can gather and guess the grain he has is similar to Weyermann\u2019s Bohemian Pilsner malt.

I'm gravitating towards BIAB because I can make and scrounge most of the equipment for little or no cost.

At this stage the equipment is not important.

I'm really just wondering if someone has a simple and tasty recipe for an AG BIAB that they'd like to share...

The aim of the game is to keep the ingredients simple and cheap so that I can concentrate on the process without worrying too much about measurements and times etc, so as few other grains as possible and a small variety of hops is a must.

That way, if it is a complete failure, it won't hurt so much going down the drain.

However, I would like to end up with something at least 'Drinkable'.

Also, an Ale would probably be best because I can keep the fermenting temperature at abou 18C with little or no effort.

Thanks in advance [happy]

A nice easy standard APA without using a lot of grain is:

4.5-5kg Base Malt

500g CaraMalt

Hop it as you would like

This will give you about 23 litres in the fermenter pending on your efficiency.

Yeah mate, Amarillo and Cascade are nice but you will need to have a bittering too. Use Brewmate or similar to work out your hop additions.

My first one went something like:

4kg BB Ale

500g CaraMalt

300g Dextrose [bandit]

32 litres water (in urn BIAB)

15g Centennial @ 60

25g Cascade @ 15

20g Cascade Dry

1/2 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15

Efficiency was 70%

Mash was 60 minutes

It made 23 litres in the FV

OG 1044

FG 1010

IBU 34.1 (no chill)

ABV% 4.5%

US05 yeast

----------------------

yep US05 is good

Yeah, i rethought the fruit salad idea while you were typing.

Apart from the lack of bittering, Amarillo's too annoying to get in ireland at the moment (but i have a pint of fruit salad in my hand and my mind and mouth are obsessed) and was thinking cascade and challengeror magnum, but I'll stick with what you suggest (but without the dextrose [annoyed], and boost the base malt to 5kg as you mentioned earlier) because you wouldn't suggest it if it wasn't good and i can avoid having to figure out other boil times [wink]

I appreciate it [biggrin]

Archived