Coopers Community

Sparkling Help

BrewingBenny

I have a query regarding brew talk. I have seen that hops are added at different times of a boil. Does that mean you are boiling the concentrate in water and adding the hops at various stages. Is it standard practice to boil a concentrate kit, I have read something about a hot break, this is all above me at this point. I ordered the Sparkling Ale kit from coopers, would you just keep it simple and brew it as it is or would you add some more delights to it. If so can we baby step me through adding bits and pieces.

Never boil a concentrate kit Benny as you'll drive away it's character and aroma. Generally hops are brewed in malt and water - enough malt to bring the gravity up to 1.040.

I'd do the Sparkling Ale kits as per the suggested recipe without hops additions as I reckon they wont do it justice. If you want to add hops with the kit I'd put together a recipe scaling back the malt.

as you'll drive away it's character and aroma.

There is aroma in Kits? [pinched]

[lol] ...sorry.. (what he says is true though)

Im mad for adding hops to kits, sure they are drinkable on their own but I really love tarting them up with a big hop flavour and aroma, either from a little mini boil and dry hopping or just dry hopping if Im being lazy..

Never met a Kit I couldnt hop [whistling

... but thats just me and my taste buds are sorely abused and have an inch thick coating of Hop oils [lol]

Yob

Don't get me wrong Yob, I reckon hops should be used with reckless abandon and I like my hop flavour BIG.....I just think if you want to do a full Sparkling Ale kit with all the extra recommended bells and whistles you should do it as recommended.

I personally would ditch some of the bells and whistles and hop that baby until it turns and smacks me in the face [devil]

Archived