Coopers Community

Active yeast?

King Ruddager

I've just spent a week in the snow while my amber ale ferments and there's a good chance that the temperature has dropped a bit. I wrapped it in a warm quilt so hopefully that helped, but I'm still expecting it to be quite low. Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is still active? Perhaps I could take a sample, measure the gravity, add a bunch of sugar and see if anything changes? I plan on bottling it tomorrow (all things going well) which will be about the two week mark.

what was the SG before you left and what is it now?

What was your target FG?

If within tolerances of what the recipe was then you are fine, if it's higher then it still may have a bit to go.

I often run a fast ferment test on my brew to know what the FG is likely to be.

Yob

Just take a Gravity reading now and take one in 24 hours time. If it is the same then you should be right. However, if you provide us with the recipe you used we can give you an estimate expecting gravity.

Recipe was a can of OS Draught, 500g light dry malt, 1.5kg can of amber malt extract and 25g fuggles, which I boiled and strained into the wort. OG was 1.052

My main concern isn't that it didn't fully ferment though as it did have almost a full week of me keeping it at 20 before I left. I'm more worried that whatever magic that is supposed to happen next in the bottle won't happen.

No need to worry, it'll happen.

I CC my brews at 2C for around a week and I have never had a problem. Just keep the bottles at 18C or so for a few weeks and she'll be fine.

Have you changed your temps Bill? Whats your F2 set to?

I have mine now at 2'c with 1.5'c as F2...

Nah mate, my temps are the same. F2 is still set at .5C.

I've been thinking about changing it when dropping the temp down so far mainly because it wouldn't matter if it raised to even 5C before it regulated. But then I thought I couldn't be bothered stuffing around every time I use the fridge at ferment temps and knowing me, one day I am sure to forget to change it back.

Also when the temp moves so far from F1 it will be running a lot longer to bring it back down. Obviously when temps are so low there isn't a real need to use heating.

Archived