Coopers Community

Storing a new Hop Rhizome in Pot until Spring (Tasmania) ??

Jarvo_325

Hi

I live in Tasmania and just brought a cascade hop rhizome.

I have been doing a bit of reading about how to store a hop rhizome until spring when the threat of frost is over. I have read a few conflicting comments.

Some say plant it now, others say they should be stored in a plastic bag slightly moistened and kept in a refrigerator until you are ready to plant.

I was wondering if you could plant it in a pot and keep it near a window in the garage until its ready to be transplanted into the garden in spring?

What do you guys think? Should I do something else?

Cheers

Hi

I live in Tasmania and just brought a cascade hop rhizome.

I have been doing a bit of reading about how to store a hop rhizome until spring when the threat of frost is over. I have read a few conflicting comments.

Some say plant it now, others say they should be stored in a plastic bag slightly moistened and kept in a refrigerator until you are ready to plant.

I was wondering if you could plant it in a pot and keep it near a window in the garage until its ready to be transplanted into the garden in spring?

What do you guys think? Should I do something else?

Cheers

a new rhizome should be stored in the crisper of the fridge, the frosts will hurt the budding nodes, I have some in a pot from last year that are still in the pot, Ive just put a nice thick layer of straw over the new shoots. The plant will go into a sort of hibernation over winter.

Personally I have one in the fridge and wont be planted until after the frosts.

and on the other hand I have some in the ground and some in pots with straw over them so Im doing a bit from column A, B and C..

If storing in the fridge, roll in damp newspaper and check its not going soft every so often.

Yob

Thanks Yob for the advice

I think I will go with your method of rolling it up in damp newspaper and into the refrigerator.

Would it be an issue if I put the damp newspaper hop into a loose plastic bag so I don't get wet newspaper all over the fridge and get in trouble by the swmbo

Definitely put the hop in some damp newspaper in the fridge. I put mine in a plastic bag while I was waiting and they turned out ok.

Cheers Matty, I think I will wrap it up in some damp newspaper then is a plastic bag and put it in the fridge

Thanks for the info.

I am about to buy some rhizomes off ebay they only have chinook left i like chinook so i will get one but i missed out on getting cascade by the looks of things.

I just bought some off the good Dr!

Might check this out first CRAFT BREWER LINK DR SMURTO

That is the bloke that I bought my rhizome from he also sent me information on how to grow them can't wait till it arrives. Then will have to wait till spring to plant it.

I might be preaching to the converted but make sure you give the Hop plant a large amount of space to grow, they grow like crazy. I have tried it in a very large pot but its just not successful, which makes it hard for me because I live in rental properties. I have had mine for 3-4 years now and still no flowers, I thought this maybe because of being in a pot, but then stressed plants usually flower. I'm starting to think my rhizome which I got from ebay is actually a male plant... I'm thinking this year I'll dig it out of the pot and cut it in half, I'll put half in the ground and re-pot the other half, just to make sure if I move again, I'll have a plant to take with me.

Archived