Coopers Community

Better to add grains and hops to ALE or LAGER extract kit?

MattC10

Hi! It's been a while since I've posted. I am getting ready to do a new extract kit and I plan to add hops and possibly grains. Is it better to do this to an ALE or LAGER kit? Will one give me better results? Any thoughts?

Is it better to do this to an ALE or LAGER kit?

There is no "better" in this decision, just a preference for want you want to brew.

You can add hops and grains to both, although generally the hop profile in lagers are more restrained than some ales.

The main thing to consider is the yeast and your brewing temp. If you are using lager yeast than you should ferment this between 9-15 degrees.

Do you have any temp control? I assume it is getting a little warm over there now.

Hi Hairy\u2014Thanks SO much for your response! It is warmer here in the Northeast US (New York specifically). For most of the year, I use a brew belt to warm my brews while fermenting, but now I certainly won't need that. After reading your comments I am thinking of leaning toward an Ale, as I am really eager to get a nice hop kick out of this next batch. I have used Wyeast packs in the past as opposed to the Coopers yeast packs that come with the kits, and have gotten really interesting results... If I go with an ale kit, is there any kind that you recommend I use? Also, if I may continue to pick your brain... do the Coopers kits all come with the same kind of yeast (lager I assume) or do different kits come with different yeasts, appropriate to kind of brew? As always, I appreciate your time and expertise. It's a pleasure to talk with you this way.

\u2014Matt

Matt, if you want a hopped up beer I'd be more inclined to do an Ale. This LINKY will tell you what yeast are in which cans.

If it were me, I'd do an Ale at 18-20C and most likely the Australian Pale Ale or Draught kits with either the kit yeasts or US-05. Cascade and Amarillo go great in both these kits as would any other American hop.

Archived