Coopers Community

Siphon hose to fit tap?

Coxy

Had another gumtree score today - 45 glass tallies for $20, and for an extra $10 they threw in 2 more fermenters, spoon and drying rack. Win. (Helps that it turns out she was an old schoolmate...not that I realised til I got there).

Anyway, the extra fermenters now make me tempted to try bulk priming. So my question is what size (diameter) siphon hose do I need to fit the taps? Would 5mm diameter fit inside like the blue bottler does?

13mm hose in plumbing section at bunnings. $4.98. Got one fri, fits perfect - I soak in boiling water to cleanse which makes it nice and flexible to slip onto the tap... If only everything had such a tight fit [lol]

Cheers Tim and Muddy. I actually have a sawn off bottler (not to be confused with shotgun) that I got in my last gumtree score. It's a bit longer than the bit you showed in your pic, Muddy, but it should do the job just fine and save me cutting it again.

13mm hose in plumbing section at bunnings. $4.98. Got one fri' date=' fits perfect - I soak in boiling water to cleanse which makes it nice and flexible to slip onto the tap... If only everything had such a tight fit [lol']

Bunnings hose is not food grade, get some silicone hose from a HBS.

For a few dollars and local business support it will pay to go to your HBS for the hose. As Yob said, Bunnings is not suitable. You'll only be asking for troubles eventually.

Buy once, buy right. (or the other way round [pinched] )

*Was waiting for Uncle Bill or Uncle Yob to rouse on me [crying]*

Somewhere there Bill!

The length of tubing I got there was Pope 'lightweight flexible vinyl tubing' 'used to transfer water, air & other fluids...etc'

The label has a Food Grade logo on it.

Go check it out!

I use 'food grade' vinyl tubing sourced from Mitre 10' date=' bought it on a whim when I was shopping for nipples [joyful']

i nearly spat my drink out reading that. Maybe it's related to the "Coxy sucker" hilarity? LOL

(With regard to tubing) If you can smell anything other than air after a boil, even let sit for a while, then it is no good for beer, IMO, Silicone 12mm hose is the ducks, fits 'over' the taps and gets a nice flow rate and is odorless when boiled.

Not saying that the stuff you have isnt good, I dont know the exact product, just saying that I rekon the Silicone hose is freaking awesome.

[rightful]

Archived