Coopers Community

IPA recipe ideas

Gash Slugg

I don't have any Malt or Crystal left [crying] but I do have a few Coopers cans I got last time they were on special. (one of each, Draught, Lager, Real Ale) I love my IPAs and since I just got a batch of hops in (450g Cascade, 450g Magnum, 450g Columbus) thought I'll have a bash. I haven't used Magnum or Columbus before so your suggestions would be appreciated.

so thought I might start like this.

1.7 kg Can Real Ale

1.7 kg Can Lager

500g Dextrose

if my calcs are correct gets me to about 51.6 IBU and 5.6% at 23L which to me sounds ok. I have seen a pure columbus IPA which suggests

50g at 10mins and 50g at flameout. But I am totally up for suggestions, I have seen that Sierra Nevada Torpedo use Magnum and Crystal hops for finishing and MAGNUM, CRYSTAL & CITRA for dry hopping, unfortunately I don't have Citra or Crystal.

I'm happy to use one can of goo if anyone thinks that would be better but I can get only what's available at the supermarket atm (BE1,BE2)

I'll shut up and let you have a go! Cheerz Gavin

If you want to use what you have then go with the toucan; the Real Ale & Lager should do the job. You also won't use up a heap of hops getting the bitterness up.

I have never used Magnum so I can't comment on it and have no idea whether 100g late hopping is OK.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Here's a recipe idea for you:

Purcell Pale Ale MkII

1.7kg OS Draught

1.0Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

9g Magnum 11.3% (25mins)

4g Perle 7.0% (20mins)

23L Water

2L Wyeast 1056 starter

56g Cascade (wholeleaf dryhop)

23g Cascade (pellets dryhop)

This is a second attempt at a Sierra Nevada PA clone. The first attempt was good but needed more hop aroma .

I did a bit of reading on magnum hops when I ordered some by accident.

from everything that I've read, it's not a good flavour or aroma hop - it should generally be used for bittering.

yeah a lot of people say that, mainly because its a high alpha hop I think, but some of my favourite beers use it for flavour and dry hopping, like Sierra Nevada Torpedo. And once I get some more grain and malt I'll be using it for bittering too!

Hey Gavin,

I sure do like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo myself. I worked out a recipe quite a while back now that might get close. I haven't put one down yet but it's on my list of brews to do.

Lumberjack IPA

2.5Kg LDM

1.2 Amber LME

250g Crystal 20L

250g Crystal 40L

150g Carapils

28g Magnum 12.5%(60mins)

20g Magnum (30mins)

20g Cascade 7.8(15mins)

15g Citra 11.1%(dry hop)

10g Cascade (dry hop)

10g Magnum (dry hop)

23L water

Wyeast 1056

OG 1.062 FG 1.016 ABV% 6.09 IBU 65.1

I think it might be a good one. Feel free to give it a go and tell me what you think. I'll get it down myself sometime but who knows when.[roll]

Archived