Coopers Community

Reptile heat cords??

Maybe do what I'm doing. I bought a large flexible plastic bucket thing, about $10 from bunnings. It fits my FV in it along with a 150watt aquarium heater ( temp range 16-32C ) about $15 BigW and a small aquarium water pump about $10BigW. Put Fv in bucket put in heater and pump fill with water and turn on power. Photos can be seen here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=371458076233494&set=a.371457632900205.86974.369037263142242&type=3&theater

$35 spent on 3 things you need to maintain. IMO better off getting one thing cheaper that will do the job. Whether that be a Reptile Heat Cord, Heat mat, Heat belt, light bulb, or whatever.

I have 2 reptile heat cords but use them inside my fridges. 1 is 15w the other 25w. If you plan to wrap the cord around the FV then I suggest getting a belt as it would be a lot easier to manage. However, if you intend to place the FV in a contain of some sort, i.e. like a fridge or cupboard, then I am all for a reptile heat cord.

A friend of mine has a cord in is cabinet where he has his FV and it works a charm. He has this plugged into a temp controller to maintain correct temps.

I use a small 8 watt reptile heat pad(one of those clear thingys) for my secondary fermentation cupboard and a 32cm x 18cm 20 watt pet heat pad for the fv's that I got for $22 from ebay. I have had 4fvs running on it just holding 19 degrees wrapped in blankets etc up off of the floor on some ply and a layer of blankets.

I recon just for one FV you could easily get away with a 20cm x 20cm clear reptile heat pad should be about $15 ala ebay. I have recently bought another 24cm x 42cm so I can run all 4 comfortably on but havnt needed it yet. These things all say 32 degrees but they actually do around 28 degrees, add layers of towels or something between the heat mat and the fv to control temps even further! Has been working a treat for me! Oh and they are splash proof too ;)

firstly whats the lowest temp ale yeast can go to

Our dry Coopers yeast will usually keep chugging along at 16C.

I can confirm that the Coopers dry yeast will ferment at 16c. i don't have the luxury of the heat pads etc at the moment so just have it in the cupboard with a few blankets around it.

My b'day is 2 weeks today which I am getting $$$ towards my homebrew set up I will be looking at purchasing these sorts of things.

Thanks for the replies I don't have a cupboard with enough room to be using a heat cord was a good idea till i seen the responces might invest in a reptile heat pad but I am glad to know the ale yeast in my sparkling ale which is ale/lager will keep going at 16 degree's I am able to keep it at or slightly above 16 degree's in my back room but as it gets colder will need to have a heater to keep it warm.

Archived