Coopers Community

Cooper's Draught taking longer than normal to ferment

Wobbegongs

Hello fellow brewers. We are veterans of 600+ brews, the majority of which have been Cooper's Draught + Cooper's Brewing Sugar (i.e. nothing complicated). We've been at it long enough that we know we like and know what we're doing.

The last 6 months or so, it seems that no matter how well we control the temperature of our brew, it's taking 9-10 days to finish the primary fermentation instead of the usual 6-7 days.

I thought it might have been something to do with the weird weather we had in Sydney last summer (double La Nina) but it's still happening in the cooler weather where we've had heating equipment on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Have Cooper's changed their yeast supplier recently or anything else for that matter?

Any feedback would be welcome.

The last 6 months or so' date=' it seems that no matter how well we control the temperature of our brew, it's taking 9-10 days to finish the primary fermentation instead of the usual 6-7 days.[/color']

What technique do you use for determining that fermentation has finished?

I normally don't even check my gravity reading before 10 days as I am still expecting it to be fermenting.

Remember that being a bit colder it is going to take a little longer for the brews to finish. The main issue I had (before I got a fermenting chamber) was that the temperature overnight would drop down a lot and as you could imagine no fermentation got done then.

Archived