Coopers Community

Reactivating Coopers Yeast

Aspenjim

Hey everyone... I managed to get ahold of a couple sixpacks of sparkling ale here in colorado (pretty hard to find). The use after date is from a couple years ago. When reactivating yeast, do I use strictly the reactivated yeast or use it in addition to the sachet of yeast. I'm planning on making a real ale using it. I was hoping to make 3 (or 2) different batches using the yeast.

BTW.... I thinks the coopers real ale kit is most excellent. I think it is the best beer I have had since the early 80's when Watneys Red Barrel was still alive and well. I've tried several variations and like the kit with BE1 the best.

Thanks for any advice

Hi Jim - You use the reactivated yeast on it's own. It sounds like the Sparkling Ale you have is a little old - great for drinking but not so good for yeast harvesting. Hopefully it will still have viable yeast for you to use.

Good luck with it [biggrin]

Well, I don't want to risk a non-alcoholic batch, so I'll stick with the kit yeast. My wife will be happy once I get the bottles outta the fridge. Maybe I'll try a small batch.

BTW, the sparkling ale was much better than my batch.

I also have one pkt of nottingham yeast, but I understand it takes longer to ferment.

Thanks for the info !!

A small batch might be a good idea, one , to make sure the yeast is ok and two, if all goes well you'll have a much larger batch of the yeast you could harvest, wash and stick in a full size brew! although in my opinion harvesting yeast from bottles these days isn't necessary due to the large amount of different yeasts you can buy, although it does present a challenge which can be fun! And there is always the debate of is the bottling yeast the same yeast they use for brewing??? [wink]

Archived