Coopers Community

Well done Kmart!

rossm

I went looking for some thing to put on yesterday, went to one of the only two places that sell homebrew products in town, Kmart! At last they have English Bitter on the shelves....but no bloody LDM! I took 2 tins and a BE2 but decided against using that, went to Woolies and got 2 tins of RA and put that on with the BE2, got a mate coming up from down south in a couple of weeks and he is bringing some LDM for me....how bloody frustrating!

I used to find it hard to get gear where I am as well Ross.

I still find it hard to get LDM, so when there is some around I normally stock up on it fairly well. I often travel to another city where a LHBS is located, so quite often fill the car when I get there.

I feel very lucky i'm only 10 mins from the LHBS... Place always has what i'm looking for. In saying that whilst walking through Big W, they did have a small selection - main series of Lager, Dark Ale and Draught from memory and brew enhancer 1, you wonder why they bother when the LHBS is a few streets away and has everything??

I actually find Big W to be alot cheaper then the homebrew shop. The total cost of the ingredients for 1 brew can be $15 different.

Not sure why but the LHBS has a huge mark-up on his products. Although if I am in the area of the LHBS I always pop in to pick up my stuff there. He is good for a chat and gives really good advice.

I actually find Big W to be alot cheaper then the homebrew shop. The total cost of the ingredients for 1 brew can be $15 different.

Not sure why but the LHBS has a huge mark-up on his products. Although if I am in the area of the LHBS I always pop in to pick up my stuff there. He is good for a chat and gives really good advice.

Economies of scale. Big W can afford to make only, say, a 20 cent profit on each can. He can't.

got a mate coming up from down south in a couple of weeks and he is bringing some LDM for me....how bloody frustrating!

Ross - The Coopers store has a $15 flat rate on postage at the moment so you might want to take advantage and stock up. Works out ok if you want to buy a lot....not so good if you just want a stubby holder or a keyring - Still $15 [pinched]

The brew cans I get from Kmart/Big W but the Malt extract is nearly twice as expensive as my local brew store, $7 for 500g of Malt at the supermarkets. or $38 for 5kg ($3.80 for 500g) at LHBS. most brew cans benefit from 1 kg of Malt at least, so best to buy bulk from LHBS.

you're paying for the advice and the convenience of getting all the specialty stuff at one place with the LHBS. i buy as much as i can from the "local" guy, who is about 30 minutes away, cos i like the advice that he gives.

it's not worth the 3 bucks a can to go to big w in most instances now.

you're paying for the advice and the convenience of getting all the specialty stuff at one place with the LHBS. i buy as much as i can from the "local" guy, who is about 30 minutes away, cos i like the advice that he gives.

it's not worth the 3 bucks a can to go to big w in most instances now.

Agree totally.

I don't visit the local home-brew guy because of the prices. Its the whole experience and the knowledge he has.

Archived