Coopers Community

Pilsener temps and cold crashing

Freestyler

Hi All,

I mixed up a pilsener the other day and I just want to check I've set it up right.

Pitched yeast at 21C and left for just over a day at 21-22C to get things going and have now set the temp to 12C so it should reach that in the next few hours.

The plan is to leave it and let it sit at that temp for 3 weeks or so.

I have also heard about cold crashing, dropping to 2-3C for 24 hours before bottling? Is that correct and is it worth doing? Is it purely for the clarity of the beer or does this affect the flavour at all?

Thanks guys

from what i've read, and from what i've done, cold crashing is only useful if you do it for at least 5 days.

yes, its mainly for clarity. it drops the yeast out of the wort, which will influence flavour. i haven't done a pilsner, but i'd imagine it would be nearly critical to cold crash it.

from what i've read, and from what i've done, cold crashing is only useful if you do it for at least 5 days.

Andy, numerous times I have CCd for 3 days with success. There is no given time as there are a lot of factors that come into play each and everytime.

Having said that, even though 24 hours would in fact have some, albeit a minimal, effect, I would think it be hardly worth it as it is a large mass that is required to drop in temp. As soon as you can put the yeast to sleep then you have progress. ie. usually an Ale under 15C ish (depending on strain of yeast)

I wouldn't bother with it, being that it will have fermented for 3 weeks, it will most likely be fairly clear anyway.

Wait until it is finished and then decide on if you think it is worth it. All of my lager yeast experiences have always ended up with clear beer without cold crashing it.

Thanks guys,

I think I'll give it a miss, my beers so far have been much clearer than anything I was expecting anyway.

Also would cold crashing not remove too much yeast in suspension and affect bottle carbonation?

Archived