Coopers Community

Recipe advice

I am wanting to make a sparkling ale but i was thinking instead of using 1.5 kilo's of light liquid malt instead use 1.5 kg of light dry malt all up and 300 dex would it turn out ok just by the time i buy ldm and also the liquid malt its pretty much $30 I have hops covered plenty of hops just have to decide which variety i want to use but anyhow advice on the malt would be great thanks in advance Wayne

'1.5kg Dark Malt extract = 1.1kg Dry Dark Malt'

I found that nugget of information at some point and saved it.

I've been using that conversion for any kit that calls for a tin of malt extract and it seems to work well (and saves a few Crazy Moon Dollars)

I use the dry malt instead of the liquid malt all the time. You have just got to remember (from memory it was 1.2kgs of dry = 1.5kgs of liquid)

The only issue I have with it is that the Dry malt clumps alot when you put it in the fermenter. Other then that it should taste nice.

Cheers guys, Im not worried about the malt clumping i have that under control as i boil my hops now so while the water is heating up i add it slowly to 2 liters of water stirr till dissolved then i let it boil and i do my hop additions but cheers for letting me know it works they so how much dry malt do you use all up as the recipe calls for 500g LDM and 1.5kg of light malt liquid do i just use 1.5 kg of light malt or so plus a little dextrose? I can always play with it last time i made sparkling it cost me nearly as much as it costs for a carton lol the homebrew shop isn't cheap around here and they have limited stock so i source a lot online but for my basic malts etc i just buy them there at bbq's galore

500g LDM + 1.5kg extract = 1.6 or 1.7 kg LDM

I'd probably just go with the 1.5kg LDM plus a bit of Dex too, otherwise you're paying for another 500g LDM for the sake of 100 or 200g. Any time i open a bag of LDM i find it sucks up moisture from the air and clumps in the bag (unless you grab your cling film and wrap it all up tighter than a nun's v... [innocent] )

and matty, just stick all the LDM in the fermenter, then add 2liters of water off the boil, pick it up and swirl (not stir) it all around until the malt is disolved. no more clumps. [biggrin]

how much dry malt do you use all up as the recipe calls for 500g LDM and 1.5kg of light malt liquid do i just use 1.5 kg of light malt or so plus a little dextrose?

I don't know if I have read this wrong but there is no Dextrose in Malt fullstop. Dextrose is a different sugar and as such should be treated differently.

If you are going to include it then I wouldn't use anymore than 300g or so.

I think he was meaning that since the recipe calls for 1.5kg of liquid malt and 500g of dry malt, using only 1.5kg of dry malt wont give it the same OG reading as the recipe would have. To get this OG he will add a little dextrose to do so.

I would neally be inclined to leave it out, as I don't think it will make a great differance to the beer really.

and matty, just stick all the LDM in the fermenter, then add 2liters of water off the boil, pick it up and swirl (not stir) it all around until the malt is disolved. no more clumps. [biggrin]

I currently just get the dried malt from the home brew store, its actually a little cheaper then the Coopers malt and it disolves into the hot water much easier then the Coopers malt. When asking the home brew guy why, he wasn't sure as he thought they were exactly the same product. The company he works for spray dries the malt themselves and packages it up.

Archived